Redington Classic

P

PATroutMan

Looking to purchase a new fly rod, preferably something 2-3wt range. How is the redington classic? Found one on ebay for $109. Not trying to break the bank and would prefer a complete outfit if possible. Any suggestions?

Reactions: RRR
Classic Trout 8.5 ft 3 wt is the closest I can get. It is a specialty rod to me in that it has difficulty handling fish much more than 12 inches without excessive playing time. But with that recognized I like it for some of the brook trout streams open enough for that length.

It is not like the current 2 and 3 weight euro nymph rods that are tippy enough to turn over light lines yet have the butt robustness to handle larger fish..

You may also want to check eBay for Reddington Tempt which was a different name for the same set of tapers with identical hardware and grips. I have the 8.5 ft in both 4 wt and 5 wt. These can handle larger fish. The 4 wt is a little crisper but still within the smooth family for which the Classic Trout series earned its adherents.

I fish mine with a Reddington Drift click pawl, long discontinued.

Not much to go on but so really just fwiw.

I have the CT 4 wt and love it, great rod at a great price. I really don't need anything more out of a rod. 2 and 3 wts are niche rods. I own a 3 wt and it hangs in the basement rafters with my ultra light spin rod.

One of the best fly rods in that price range.

I have the 7'6" CT 3 wt and is one of my favorite small stream rods.

It's an excellent value and choice. Go for it!

Pairs great with the Redington Drift click & pawl reel in 3/4

If you can find that older Drift, or older Rise. I sold my old Drift with my 5 wt rod, I really miss that reel.

I have a CT in 9' 4wt - great general rod but has trouble with heavier weighted rigs.

You might be able to find a Fenwick World Class in the $120 range in 3wt. I have one, it is alot of fun, which I can't say for the longer/heavier weight WC rods personally.

Maybe try a Fenwick Aetos, usually come up in that price range on sale ($125ish).

I have the CT in 8'-6"-4wt. lined with Cortland DT. Only used it this past summer, but really enjoyed it.

I fish mostly higher end equipment. The Redington Classic Trout is a fine introductory rod that does not go away even when your skills are much improved. I would happily fish one. The Echo Carbon XL is another really nice relatively inexpensive rod although it has a faster action (med fast) than the medium action Classic Trout.

I own the CT 9'5" and it's a dandy. I prefer it to the $700.00 super-stiffs touted for casting distance. The Classic Trouts are every bit as good as the old Sage Lightlines. For the money, It's without a doubt the best deal in fly rods. Period.

Back