Redbuds on the Little Juniata

• Thread starter BrookTroutLover
  • Start date
Fished the J today without a grannom in sight. Plenty of midgets and bwos in the morning and some sporadic red quills or Hendrickson’s mid but but no riding fish.

Nymphed 4 on a #14 caddis pupa.

HopBack wrote:
Fished the J today without a grannom in sight. Plenty of midgets and bwos in the morning and some sporadic red quills or Hendrickson’s mid but but no riding fish.

Nymphed 4 on a #14 caddis pupa.

What part of the stream were you on?
They usually start at the lower end of the stream and work their way up

I stated off above spruce creek and fished up through yellow house. I moved upstream and around the Grier school and then ended up in the gorge. Tons of people out wading and on drift boats. Everyone I talked to pretty much said the same thing, a few bumped in the am and and then it shut down. No risers at all despite a strong bow hatch. I didn’t stick around for the evening spinner fall so I can’t comment about that.

The grannoms are hatching on Fishing Creek now. I saw them on Friday.

The redbuds aren't even blooming in Berks County that I have seen. If they aren't blooming here I wouldn't think they would be blooming in Huntingdon County since that is a week behind in schedule on average compared to Berks County. Another weird thing is I thought the grannoms hatched on the LJ before Penns and Fishing Creek? They are hatching on Penns and Fishing, but nothing on the LJ? Isn't this a little weird? I haven't fished the LJ the last week so I am not talking from experience. I'm just talking about how it usually works.

Troy wrote:
The redbuds aren't even blooming in Berks County that I have seen. If they aren't blooming here I wouldn't think they would be blooming in Huntingdon County since that is a week behind in schedule on average compared to Berks County. Another weird thing is I thought the grannoms hatched on the LJ before Penns and Fishing Creek? They are hatching on Penns and Fishing, but nothing on the LJ? Isn't this a little weird? I haven't fished the LJ the last week so I am not talking from experience. I'm just talking about how it usually works.

Yeah, it is pretty odd.
I thought for sure they would have been hatching there this past weekend.

As for the red buds:
It's not when their blooming - but just when their swelled up a bit and start to show color - or something like that.

Red buds bloom in early May, ours are just getting flower buds.

Chaz -

Then the widespread wisdom is that you should be seeing grannoms where they are found.

Around here the way things are with the frigid weather, we might have a few grannoms about the time sulphurs normally hatch! And, that's if the water warms up and comes way, way down.

Back