Redbuds on the Little Juniata

• Thread starter BrookTroutLover
  • Start date
BrookTroutLover

BrookTroutLover

Any sign of Redbuds yet? I have the grannom itch. Bad.

BrookTroutLover wrote:
Any sign of Redbuds yet? I have the grannom itch. Bad.

Up until the last few days, I guessed the hatches will be close to on time, but looking at the forecast for the coming weeks, temps are predicted to be well below average. I now believe the hatches will be a little late. No one knows for sure, but it is what it is, so I'll make plans to fish a little later. Go Redbuds!

Attachments

• Redbud.jpg
    Redbud.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 2
2-4 inches tonight in Indiana, Westmoreland, Fayette Co’s. Winter in the Laurel Highlands.

Winter sucks!! GG

None yet. I live just up the road from the LJ and have been keeping an eye out.

Can't wait. Love me some grannoms!

Water temp last week was just 40F on Wednesday afternoon.
So it’s not gonna be real soon...

Are people really expecting grannoms around April 1?

What do you all think of as an average start date for the grannoms?

troutbert wrote:
Are people really expecting grannoms around April 1?

What do you all think of as an average start date for the grannoms?

Last year, I fished grannoms on spring creek in late march.
And they hatched that early several other times rather recently, too.

Of course with this past winter being so much colder, I didn't expect that this year.
Was kinda thinking they might appear this coming weekend.
But with the cold weather supposed to linger awhile yet, I kinda doubt that will happen now.
Maybe middle of the month?

When I first started FF - in the early 80's - the normal starting date for grannoms was the last week of april. I still have old hatch charts from those years with those forecasts
Now - who nows?

Troutbert - In my experience regarding the Penn's Creek area, I would say around April 10th based on the last decade.

I drove down to Greensboro, NC today and the redbuds are in perfect bloom all along I-85 between Virginia and NC.

It is also in the mid-70's here today!

They come on April 15 and are size 13, give or take on both points.

the norm for the J is the second or third week of April. We had an unusual pattern over the last 5 years where 3 years they were early (two very early), one "on time" and one late by about a week.
Hey, look on the bright side. The Gs will be hatching on a few ATW in the northern part this year that would be closed otherwise. Kind of sucks to see a great hatch unfished because the water is closed. Also, the cold weather extends the BWO action. All is good.

I will be up fishing there a few days this week and next and will post up when I see them.Best guess is after 4/9
Tom

I thought that redbuds bloomed in early May.

Whenever they hatch, spring creek gets them first.
Then they start on the little j about a week later.
And then start on penns even a little later after that

I can't remember what year it was but about 3 years ago give or take, but I remember fishing grannoms when it was snowing pretty hard on me. I always called it a snowstorm of a hatch because of the amount of bugs and that day it sure was.

I always keep my patterns pretty easy but I tie 3 patterns for grannoms. Black/brown body, natural elk hair for dry, green body nymph dubbing, natural elk hair for an emerger, and partridge and peacock wet fly.

What else do you guys use?

Per LJRA Facebook-

Unfortunately, we have had to cancel the LJRA cleanup scheduled for Saturday April 7th. Accuweather forecasts 2 to 4 inches of snow on the ground. That will cover the trash and may be unsafe for our volunteers working along the river.

JackM wrote:

Nah. They're size 15.

The temps predicted to be near 80 on Saturday! Looks like we are skipping over the 60's.

troutbert wrote:
JackM wrote:

Nah. They're size 15.

Well then, here are your size 13 & 15 hooks.

http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/shop/alec_jackson_hooks/

Back