Red Fox Pelt ideas

T

tracker12

I picked up a real nice mature red fox this weekend. Skinned it out and put it on the stretcher. Looks like a lot of nice fur to work with. The under fur looks like it would be great dubbing. Just not sure what fly's to look to making. Any ideas.

Congrats first off sounds like you did a swell job preserving it! I am trying to find a good priced winter fox pelt or a suitable road kill. Longest hairs possible to tie:

http://hatchesmagazine.com/page/june2006/195

I find them more fun to fish then a bugger and they are a very easy craWfish immitation. Or looking at Sal's sculpin thread they may mistake them for Sculpins who cares they catch fish. My only problem is finding fox body big enough to tie 6's and 8's. The tail fur is to wirey.

That is a nice fly. I will definitely be tying osme of them up for smallmouth in the New River. I fished it last year a a guide gave me a few flys that were thick as cigars. I could not believe how much the fish liked thise biggies.

Red fox makes awesome (super sized) nymphs! Im doing some for the PAFF 2012 Swap. When I get them done I'll post some pics. As far as the tail being too wirey it depends on the fox. I've been fine tuning these nymphs for about 3 years now and with minor modifications(seasonal,species) these things are deadly on Smallmouth and Carp. My buddy has even done really well on Big Browns with them. I tie them from size 2 down to size 12 for Bluegills and Fallfish. The fish in my profile pic was caught on a size 4.

Back