"Recreational Impairment " for Susky and tribs

Any time I wet wade in the Susky, I wash off as soon as I get home. Any cuts, scabs or abrasions get peroxide poured over them repeatedly. Never have gotten a skin or bacterial infection but know people who have. Better safe than sorry. I was fishing it this weekend but the warnings do have me extra worried.

Just like Rio keep your head above water and don't swallow any.

"These levels can be a risk to human health, but it doesn't mean if you touch the water you're going to get sick," Shader said.
"Recreational impairment doesn't mean you shouldn't swim there. It's merely more an advisory," says DEP spokesperson Neil Shader. "We have to note that there are elevated levels of bacteria in the water."

media blowing this up. this happens every year from warm water

The rivers fish are impaired and its recreationally impaired, but it's still a ok for industrial use!
Smh

I don't wet wade anywhere, anymore. Just a personal preference. I can tell you the first thing I do when I get home from fishing the Conestoga is hose down my waders and wading boots to get the stink off.

Sal - industrial use is true but you can't ignore the massive amounts of manure, fertilizer and other farm waste that is entering the river system. The Conestoga has been running brown and muddy for several days now due to the recent rains. Water level barely increased but all that runoff washed even more crud into the water.

I was being completely sarcastic

The fish are unfit to eat in quantity, the recreational impairment warnings, but is the river impaired? Nahhhhh!!!

If you listed it as such it would restrict industrial/agri usage. Can't have that!

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I was being completely sarcastic

The fish are unfit to eat in quantity, the recreational impairment warnings, but is the river impaired? Nahhhhh!!!

If you listed it as such it would restrict industrial/agri usage. Can't have that!

Got it -you're right that there is great pressure not to list it coming from the ag industry. I cringe when I see some of the "locals" farming practices along the 'stoga near my house. Barnyards that easily drain directly into the stream or a nearby source, mowing right up to the banks, no vegetation left in fields to hold down erosion, cows in the streams, etc.

Disgusting. how about Lancaster and these other "up and coming" areas around her put some funds into cleaning up their waste water treatment plants. I agree on farm run off too. BUT Oh our poor farmers...we can't regulate them....my god where would we get our ice cream?

Interesting that some areas do a much better job than this area with managing this stuff.

Plenty of dough pored into attracting tourists and the stupid rail trails and silly public art garbage etc etc. but no money for a decent sewage system.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Disgusting. how about Lancaster and these other "up and coming" areas around her put some funds into cleaning up their waste water treatment plants. I agree on farm run off too. BUT Oh our poor farmers...we can't regulate them....my god where would we get our ice cream?

Interesting that some areas do a much better job than this area with managing this stuff.

Plenty of dough pored into attracting tourists and the stupid rail trails and silly public art garbage etc etc. but no money for a decent sewage system.

Maybe go on a permanent diet? Then you won't need to have a farmer grow food for you and you can help the problem. You won't be putting anything into your body (less acreage needed to be fertilized by farmers) and you won't be putting anything out of your body (less sewage to treat). And the rest of us can then enjoy life, which sometimes includes silly public art garbage and stupid rail trails..

You might work on cleaning up your own language in the meantime, on a family friendly board..

How did he drop an F - bomb? Anytime you type bad words, they get auto corrected.

And....very classy fox

I believe it's the current trend in farming practices that Foxtrapper is referring to. I'm not singling you out Salmonid, but most of the "farms" around here don't produce real food. They just mono-crop soybeans, corn, and wheat, and dump tons of manure on it to compensate for the lack of nutrients due to the industrialization of farming. Thank the farm bill for the current trends in farming.

We are growing about 75% of our own food in my garden. We don't use fertilizer or pesticide, just careful planting of certain plants around other certain plants. Yet I see no positive effect on the environment.:-(
Maybe it takes more than one person?

Agreed on the ag. issue. I feel it is still an education issue (i.e. don't throw used oil down a sinkhole). If the farmers could just keep even a 10 ft riparian buffer we (the planet) would be better. I understand that it could hurt the bottom line, but it is the right thing to do. Plus there are probably subsidies/write offs for "natural" acres.

Recreational impairment = getting drunk for fun.

No farms... No food.

In 1940 each U.S farmer fed 19 people. Currently each farmer feeds 155 people.
In 1940 there were 1,067,850,000 acres in farmland. In 1998 (latest data I found) there were 952,650,000 acres.
The U.S population rose from 132.1 million in 1940 to 318.9 million in 2014.
So more people to feed on less land. Something has to give. Guess what, nature has no value to the average person.

By the way, I'm given a quota by DEP, of how much manure I can spread (gallons/acre/year) on each field (yes it varies by vicinity to waterways) and I have to keep a log that is checked.

Fox, humans are the most invasive species. It's "inhumane" to mention a human carrying capacity and human population control. We are the only species to augment their own carrying capacity through agriculture. So if you have kids, you can go look in the mirror for the cause of the destruction. Don't blame us farmers.

Fox,
Your like to institute population control? Ok, I'm in. You go first though.

There have been multiple articles in our local paper on how farming practices need to change. The farmers are resisting making changes and it's not always about money ,they simply do not want to change.They don't want to change how their families have been farming for generations, it seems to go against their very nature and it's not just the Amish either. Tell a farmer that changing how they till and plant a field could lead to having to spend less time sitting on a tractor and they don't want to hear about it. Spending hours day after day in tractor seat must be a religious experience or an escape .

Back