Recovery time of Rivers/fisheries after Hurricanes

Related, Hurricane Beryl may have caused adverse effects in Potter/Cameron county streams a couple months ago. It dumped 6 inches of rain up there. Anyone know how it affected the streams?

Interested to get thoughts, experiences and facts based on previous, significant weather events.

How long does it take for rivers & fisheries to show signs they r beginning to recover ?

Understanding this will b a pretty broad based topic.
Please, let the dialog begin.

Here's a previous discussion on severe flooding:

Previous Flood Discusion

Here's a document from Vermont regarding brook trout population data in regard to major floods:

Flood Impacts to Wild Trout Populations in Vermont

My experience as an angler in PA has been that is is hard to correlate floods with population fluctuations since we often deal with low/warm water years suppressing populations also. Additionally, my experience has been that the smaller the stream, the more populations fluctuate in a way noticeable to me, but It's hard to correlate that to a specific event. For larger streams, like the bigger central PA trout streams or my local smallmouth bass waters, I can't recall a flood event that I felt ruined the fishery, if only temporarily. To the contrary, I'm often amazed how well they fish as soon as the water levels return to normal. In the later example I'm thinking of floods that register in the 10,000 cfs neighborhood on the USGS gauges.

In 2011 I had very good Brookie fishing in the Fall after the floods in September. Starting, I don’t know, a handful of days after the water receded.

I think floods can be bad over the longer term in terms of what they do to habitat, but I think fish are pretty good at living through the actual flood event itself. Fins and they can swim and all.

Back