Recommendations for Nymphing Rod

I fish a 10' foot Z Axis five weight on the Delaware and it is a dream! I fish it with a triangle taper line and do roll and stack mends for 70' drifts.

Should be able to do it all with that 5wt a3... Unless you are after a Czech nymphing rod... I doubt you will enjoy throwing dries with it on a smaller water... Usually smaller water you will want a shorter rod. I like my 9' 5 for almost all situations. I think if you get a 9' 4 wt that you will just favor one or the other without really expanding your arsenal in the sense that the 4 will do nothing significantly better then the 5... Want something new get a 9' 7 wt that you can toss streamers with, fish bass and steelhead with etc. Or go with a 7.5 3 wt for small stream dries etc

Zen,

A very nice affordable nymphing rod that you can toss dries with is the cabelas CZN rod series. I have the 9'6" 3 wt. It really is a nice nymphing rod with enough backbone to toss dries when you need to. Take a look at these rods I don't think you will be disappointed.

mcwillja wrote:
Zen,

A very nice affordable nymphing rod that you can toss dries with is the cabelas CZN rod series. I have the 9'6" 3 wt. It really is a nice nymphing rod with enough backbone to toss dries when you need to. Take a look at these rods I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks, mcwillja. I will definitely check it out when I come across one. I am not in any hurry to pull the trigger, since I probably have too many 4 wt. rods anyway. lol. Seriously though, Jay made a good point, I really enjoy my 9' Scott 5 wt. in a lot of different situations, so I will likely end up going with the Scott 4 wt., unless of course I come across something I really like better for the right price.

Back