Recommendations for Nymphing Rod

zenherper

zenherper

I am considering buying a rod primarily for nymphing. However, I would like something that I could use for dries if needed. I fish a lot of smaller streams, so I was thinking I would like to get a 4wt. In addition, my 9' 5wt Scott A3 does the job on the bigger streams that I fish.

Do you think a 9' 4wt. rod would be good, or should I go with a 10' rod? I have a 9' 4 wt. now, but it is really slow, and doesn't mend very well. I was considering the Sage Z-axis as there are still a few lingering on the web at a decent price. Any recommendations?

OK, I just read through some old posts and may have gotten my answer...

I wouldn't go the z axis route, but that's because I think they feel like crap when casting.

I would definitely go with a 9ft rod, though. The swing weight on anything longer tends to be a pain when throwing dries.

I went down the dedicated nymph rod path a while back, and have settled on all around rods for my purposes. I'd get a 9 foot 4wt a3 if you like your 5wt.

jayL wrote:
I wouldn't go the z axis route, but that's because I think they feel like crap when casting.

I would definitely go with a 9ft rod, though. The swing weight on anything longer tends to be a pain when throwing dries.

I went down the dedicated nymph rod path a while back, and have settled on all around rods for my purposes. I'd get a 9 foot 4wt a3 if you like your 5wt.

Good advise Jay. Thank you!

I have fished the Helios 10' 4 wt as a nymph rod. This is a very light rod, lighter than my 9' 4 wts. In fact, on the day I fished it, I was able to flip back and forth between the two rods. I liked the additional reach the extra foot gave me.

Cortland "Brook" 10 foot 4 weight.

Sage 99 if you got the loot it does it all

I either use a 9' 4wt Legend Ultra or 10' 4wt Greys Streamflex XF2. I like a 5wt on the Streamflex.

I either use a 9' 4wt Legend Ultra or 10' 4wt Greys Streamflex XF2. I like a 5wt on the Streamflex.

Zen, I'll let you check out two very light weight premium rods by the same manufacturer in the same series. One is 9' the other 10', both are 4wts. Just remind me Friday and i'll let you side by side them.

Id second the streamflex xf2 . have the 10ft 4wt and enjoy fishing it a lot.

how big are the streams you are trying to fish ? the whole idea behind a long nymphing rod in my eyes is to reach across currents to avoid drag. If the stream is really small it can be done with an 8' rod , bigger water a 10 but very few if any i ever heard of cast drys really well .

jdaddy wrote:
Zen, I'll let you check out two very light weight premium rods by the same manufacturer in the same series. One is 9' the other 10', both are 4wts. Just remind me Friday and i'll let you side by side them.

Thanks jdaddy. I appreciate it.

troutslammer, the size of the streams vary a great deal, but i would guess on average about 15 ft wide. I would probably be using my 5wt on the bigger water. I think a 9' 4wt might be the ticket, but I would like to feel a couple 10 footers, just so I make an educated decision.

I used a 10' rod to nymph a small creek a few weeks ago. I was pleased with it. The extra length allowed me to stay well back from the holding water and feeding lanes. One of my objectives was to spook less fish. It was a pain with overhanging tree branches which is something I need to manage better. I know some smaller, brushier creeks that 10' will be too much but in this particular small stream I believe it will work well.

I absolutely slay wild rainbows on our small creek with my 10 footer Czech nymphing! No Brushy banks and average back casting room. You don't need much room czech nymphing.

15' wide i would say 9' is plenty. 10' rods on streams that size are too long in my opinion. 10' of rod with your arm extended say 1-1/2 ' u would need to stand on the bank to nymph the middle of a 15' wide stream. If it is low and clear then czech nymphing is out the window but whatever works for ya

I have a 9.5' Winston and it's just not an issue, small streams are actually easier to nymph with it. Maybe more due to the fast action and flex of the tip. I would not want a short rod ever, I'd take my eye out but a 9' rod is fine. For a nymphing rod chose a fast action tip flex, but if you want to fish dries with the same rod, I'm not sure ask a dry fly guy. You asked about nymphing. Shoot a grouse with a shotgun, shoot a deer with a rifle.....Elephant? I say run away.

The not ever wanting a shorter rod.. In Potugal the locals use 12'-13' rods and the streams are no bigger than in Pa.

troutslammer wrote:
15' wide i would say 9' is plenty. 10' rods on streams that size are too long in my opinion. 10' of rod with your arm extended say 1-1/2 ' u would need to stand on the bank to nymph the middle of a 15' wide stream. If it is low and clear then czech nymphing is out the window but whatever works for ya

Standing or kneeling on the bank while nymphing is not good because??

kneeling in jaggers is not my cup of tea fritz maybe it might be for you though , whatever floats your boat. a ten foot rod in my opinion is too long for a 15 wide stream your mileage may vary though. There is usually not that many conflicting currents in a stream that wide where a 9 or even 8' rod will work just fine

Received the 10' Helios 4 wt for Xmas. Nymphed it yesterday. Not a must have, but it is nice to have the extra length. It cast a dry fly well also. Oh yeah, this example also catches fish. ;-)

YMMV

Back