Recommendations for Fly Snap Clips

J

jcotrel1

Hey guys,

I'm looking for recommendations (brand, style, etc) for fly snap clips for attaching flies to the tippet. I am now legally blind and it is a pain in the a$$ having to switch out flies when the fish are not biting. I found the link below on Amazon. Wondering if anyone has used something similar and what your thoughts are.

Thanks!
Jim

I've have arthritis in my fingers and it's getting a bit difficult for me to tie knots. I stopped at a local Orvis shop and they either didn't carry them or they were out of stock. They weren't sure. I had some small articulated shanks(10 mm) so I tried them and they worked well with panfish and bass bugs. They're similar in shape, but don't cross the shank like the ones you're looking at. I think they would have drowned a dry fly. I ordered some 6 mm and 8 mm ones, and they're pretty small, considering the tippet I use. Not sure I'll use them. Might give them a shot if I get around to doing any trout fishing. Take the size your looking at into consideration when you order yours, considering your vision issues. Depends on what you're fishing for and what type of flies you're using.

Assuming you have already explored other options like magnification and fly threaders, if you are having issues then by all means try clips.

Keep in mind you may have a compromised float if using dry flies with any clip and other snagging issues you may not experience without a clip.

However that may be a small trade-off...

There are other clip options such as Rio Twist Clips, the No Knot Fas-Snap (which has been around forever and comes in black) and the Mustad Fastach.

I also recommend you store whatever clip you might choose on a safety pin versus the original packaging.

Good luck!!

Assuming you have already explored other options like magnification and fly threaders, if you are having issues then by all means try clips.

Keep in mind you may have a compromised float if using dry flies with any clip and other snagging issues you may not experience without a clip.

However that may be a small trade-off...

There are other clip options such as Rio Twist Clips, the No Knot Fas-Snap (which has been around forever and comes in black) and the Mustad Fastach.

I also recommend you store whatever clip you might choose on a safety pin versus the original packaging.

Good luck!!
I have one of those fly threaders...doesn't work so well. Maybe I need to practice. Magnifiers don't work anymore except sometimes when it's cloudy. Forget it if it's sunny.

Thanks for the other types of clips! I'll check them out.

I have used the mustad brand clips

Back