Recommendations for a guided trip Christmas gift

I guess we never know what's going on because I've seen something not too different from that. One of the bigger named guides staring off into space and going full tilt on the oars. As they pass entire bank full of rising fish, the anglers were standing up and casting their dries. Instant drag. They were completely out of sight headed towards the ramp within 10 minutes. I'm sure there was some kind of underlying situation but it was pretty strange.

I will also seen two guides spend the entire month of May June and July floating the same 1.5 mi section everyday. I don't know about you but if I'm paying you for a float trip and see the boat launch while we're taking out, probably not too 😁

Thank you all for the input. The Delaware was on my short list, and it's a nice affirmation to see so many recommend it. To clarify my initial post, i am almost exclusively looking for a guided boat experience. I havent hired a guide for a wading experience yet, but i have to imagine my experience would align closer to Swattie's experience. It would be worthwhile to focus more on technique and less on fishing experience, but this one(and most guided trips for me) are all about the fish and the scenery. A boat is nice, because you very much feel like you are fishing directly with someone the whole day. If i wade fish, the other guy is usually 100' away and out of earshot. Finally, it makes most rivers sooooooooo easy. The guy loads and unloads the boat. You arent stumbling over boulders all day long and you cover a ton of water. Guides can be very expensive, but ive never had a bad day or bad experience with one. They have always been hard working and fishy people. I think that Idaho trip was $800-900 for the day without tip, and i walked away saying, "i would do this every day of the week if i were wealthy". And that was in late May, pre-runoff, and somewhat subpar fish counts according to our guide(ironically, also a pittsburgh native). I will look at the recommendations for the Delaware guides. Any time of the year preferable to another? If it gets absolutely crushed with drift boats in May, June and July, then id rather go another time. Im not a dry fly purist and timing a hatch isnt as critical to me. Im just as happy throwing streamers all day long.

Has anyone done the lower Yough float? Ive fished small stretches of this water when i belonged to the Connellsville gun club and would walk 5-6 miles upstream as well as through Fallingwater and the Lower Yough River Takeout. It is a lot of water where i very very rarely saw another person let alone angler. As it should be, each one of those days was an incredible PITA to get to the water. My biggest smallmouth is from that stretch of water, and it looks so fishy from aerials. It's almost 15 miles of wilderness devoid of development and intervention. As with most of my Yough experiences, never had a good day of trout fishing along that stretch.

I have not been on the lower Yough (below Ohiopyle falls). I've heard suspicion about the fishery but don't know anyone who has actually done it.

As for the Delaware, it is busy from early April through June. Once the water warms, the trout zone shrinks. Less boats but still appears crowded due to everyone being in the same areas.

If the weather is suitable for humans to be outside and it doesn't conflict with the spawn, you can have good fishing. Some periods of the year offer better streamer action but a big rain event can make it good just about any time. Once hatches start, most fish focus on insect activity. Nymphing, wets and dries all work.

Just be sure to fully explain to the guide what you want in your float. If you LOVE throwing streamers but don't tell them, you might be sitting on fish all day sipping #26 olives and that might ruin your day. The guy should know what is going on at that time with insects and water conditions. See what they tell you will be the most effective way. Using the scenario above, tell them you'd like to get out early and throw streamers for a little while and then you can finish up the day trying to get fish on tiny olives. If you are looking for more solitude, you can explain to the guide that you'll sacrifice some quality of fishing to be in a lower traffic area. They'll know where to go.

While the Delaware is all wild fish or 97%+ wild, the Lehigh is worth a look. The average fish size is just a little less than the Delaware. While the total trout population is lower, you see a lot fewer people. Has a mix of wild / stocked, good hatches and the fish are much more cooperative. Lots of rough water that makes it feel like you are out west. Definitely different than the other options around here.

If you want to do something very different if you ever make it to Jersey maybe go striper fishing? The striper fishing this year was nuts. And we’re catching them in big number and big size as of last week.

Kray: Did HUGE pay you to use your likeness?
Screenshot 2022 12 19 125844

If you want to do something very different if you ever make it to Jersey maybe go striper fishing? The striper fishing this year was nuts. And we’re catching them in big number and big size as of last week.
Oh yeah, Stripers were certainly on the list. Its something ive never fished for, and its right near where he lives(hes on the northern shore). Unfortunately, i do not do offshore too well. Went twice in the carolinas 9-10 miles out and was horrendously sick both times. Took anti-nausea medicine beforehand both times too. Finally, i briefly looked and those trips look like they are more in the $800-1000+ for a full day. So, a bit outside my budget, but those guys are paying for fuel, a $500k boat, etc.

Oh yeah, Stripers were certainly on the list. Its something ive never fished for, and its right near where he lives(hes on the northern shore). Unfortunately, i do not do offshore too well. Went twice in the carolinas 9-10 miles out and was horrendously sick both times. Took anti-nausea medicine beforehand both times too. Finally, i briefly looked and those trips look like they are more in the $800-1000+ for a full day. So, a bit outside my budget, but those guys are paying for fuel, a $500k boat, etc.
Totally hear you on that. The price of guided salt water trips has become outrageous. But fun to do once in a while as an indulgence.

Best drawings ever! Tenkara sucks lol

If I were going to go salt..... false albacore would be on the short list but fear they'd blow up my reels

I guess we never know what's going on because I've seen something not too different from that. One of the bigger named guides staring off into space and going full tilt on the oars. As they pass entire bank full of rising fish, the anglers were standing up and casting their dries. Instant drag. They were completely out of sight headed towards the ramp within 10 minutes. I'm sure there was some kind of underlying situation but it was pretty strange.

I will also seen two guides spend the entire month of May June and July floating the same 1.5 mi section everyday. I don't know about you but if I'm paying you for a float trip and see the boat launch while we're taking out, probably not too 😁
I've been wading there and seen fish rising for several hundred yards below me and a guide comes by in a boat. I think " oh he will definitely see those risers and go after them" but he floats right through. Sometimes I wonder if they don't see them. I doubt he is just being THAT courteous? Seen it more than once.

I've been wading there and seen fish rising for several hundred yards below me and a guide comes by in a boat. I think " oh he will definitely see those risers and go after them" but he floats right through. Sometimes I wonder if they don't see them. I doubt he is just being THAT courteous? Seen it more than once.
They probably saw them or at least know where to be looking for the fish. That's what I refer to as mailing it in. Seen many guides staring off at the horizon and just rowing 🤣. I've been close to feeling that way once or twice.

I can also give you a perspective from the rowers seat. Often you have clients that are highly educated scientists, lawyers and CEOs. They are used to giving orders, not following them. Even if you are great with people, you can lose that battle very early on. Halfway through, they express unhappiness with the catching and ask if you even know what you are doing. They ask you to stop the boat and explain /demonstrate what it is that you want them to do. You stop, review the fly setup again, review how to read the water, go over the basic casting mechanics and explain mending. "Show me". Then the worst happens. You point out the darker green water 6' off the bank. "That's a good holding spot", you make one cast above the target and talk them through the mending process . Fish on! I cringe and hand them the rod to have them land it. "Just that easy, huh?". It's happened several times... unfortunately. We've already floated past 500 similar targets, ignore the direction and cast where they feel is best. You can only say "the left bank is the holding water in this section" or "you need to mend that upstream, no, the other upstream" so many times before it gets old.

Listening to the guide (after you have the initial conversation about expectations) is probably in your best interest. If they ask you to fish a 1/2 ounce drop shot streamer rig in a foot of water, question that 🤣

From the NJ side, stripers are an option. In spring (mid March through April and maybe May) lots of stripers stop to feed in Raritan Bay on their way North. Less fly fishing, more trolling and fishing chunks of bait and some jigging. But fly guys do get them. Then in November they are not far offshore on their way South. This provides good fly fishing and a boat helps. A guide can almost always find them with a boat, on shore most times they don't get quite to the beach. This Nov striper fishing was wild. Other times guides will get you on a mix of stripers and blues, but need to go farther out. Spring and fall are the hot times.

The fly fishing for trout on the tailwater section of upper D is love it or hate it as Kray has elaborated. However, once water warms the same guides can take you smallie fishing a little lower down and you will catch tons of fish. 100 fish days are not out of the question. Anywhere between Calicoon and Milford PA has been very good to me lately.

Back