Recommend Centerpin?

mute

mute

So i want to try some centerpin fishing for trout on small streams. I fish a good amount of streams with deep plunge pools with decent moving water.

Im looking for a decent centerpin setup. Something equivilent to an Allen Fly Fishing fly rod setup. For example, a $350 Allen setup is just fine for me. Which is why i dont need a $700 Orvis setup. Id like to follow the same pricing logic for this gear.

I had an Okuma rod and reel and with line floats and extras it priced out at around $300.

Don't they excel more on big rivers?....why not just spin it?....I get the centrepin thing for steel and salmon on bigger rivers but small streams? Sounds like that may be even tougher than ffing :)

Yea. What advantage is there?

I think there s one in the swap forum.

Nope its only a Center pin reel

by govtmule on 2014/5/8 18:08:09

Don't they excel more on big rivers?....why not just spin it?....I get the centerpin thing for steel and salmon on bigger rivers but small streams? Sounds like that may be even tougher than ffing :)

by Millsertime on 2014/5/8 18:25:07

Yea. What advantage is there?

Ive seen guys fish small trout streams with center pins and have success where fly fishing or spin fishing will not. I'm not talking about a 10 foot wide trickle stream. I'm talking about a 15-30 foot stream with various depths, shoots, runs and fast changing current where perfect drag free presentation is a must.

Obviously this is where a centerpin excels where other tackle doesnt. Another point is for extremely pressured and picky trout where i believe having the more drag free drift then per say what a fly rod or spinning rod can get you can make all the difference.

Okuma Aventa: $140
Shimano Clarus 11'3" $99

Thanks all

STONEMAN wrote:
Can someone explain to me what a center pin is? Thanks.

Its a noodle rod but instead of using a spinning reel you use a simple reel that has no drag and easily free spools. This is done to make it harder than necessary.

The advantage is that you can act like a snob towards both fly fisherman and spinning rod fisherman.

The disadvantage is that everyone will hate you.

Dirty pinners!

PennKev wrote:
STONEMAN wrote:

Its a noodle rod...This is done to make it harder than necessary.

The advantage is that you can act like a snob towards both fly fisherman and spinning rod fisherman.

Tenkara?

alvey 45c reel, got mine for $35.00 at cabelas cave !

Recommend Centerpin?

I don't recommend it.

PennKev wrote:
STONEMAN wrote:

Its a noodle rod but instead of using a spinning reel you use a simple reel that has no drag and easily free spools. This is done to make it harder than necessary.

I can't believe Tilt is not wading around in this thread. Mute you should definitely talk to Tilt.

Strong advantage to a pin reel v. Spinning reel is that you can easily keep a light tension on the line resulting in much better line management. Also dirty pinners use very light, limp line and the very large arbor reduces coiling.

I haven't been on in a long time... steelhead have kept me busy from oct-mid may and now im trying to catch up on months of not keeping up with the house. Anyways mute i'll shoot ya my # and if interested im only 15 mins away and could help you out. I've got about 6 or 7 diff pins you can try and a few different rods if you'd like.

As far as "simple reel/more difficult than necessary" it's another tool in the arsenal that is a lot of fun. It's definitely not more difficult than necessary though as with anything else when you first start out it can seem that way but I bet for most people so was fly fishing (for most it seems like it still is).

Back