recipies

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I caught my first few steelhead and brought some nice filets home. I cooked one the first night in aluminum foil with seasoning and butter. Pretty good but wondering who has good recipies for trout, salmon, etc. Should be a good post to get everyone's mouths watering. Thanks in advance.

-Ryan

Okay, here's one. Get a bottle of Ernest Hemmingway's Key West Marinade, a couple of lemons, a stick of butter, and a sweet onion. Put the fish on foil, cover in marinade, put pats of butter on top and then slices ofonion and lemon. Wrap the foil around it all, place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 for thirty minutes. I normaly slice up some white and sweet potatos, red bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and put some fresh asparagus all together on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil on them and bake with the fish on a separate rack. Salt and pepper to taste. Pretty yummy.

For trout I usually just put lemons or oranges in the body cavity with butter and broil. Every now and then I'll wrap the fish in bacon too. For spices I use parsley, thyme, tarragon and marjoram in equal parts.

When I used to bring fish home from Erie here is how I would do it.

Place deboned fillets in a 1 gallon zip-loc bag, Fill with milk until covered, let sit over night in the milk. (this takes the fishy taste out)

Rinse the fish and lie in a shallow baking pan to marinate for a few hours before cooking. Use your favorite marrinade. I liked this lemon pepper creamy stuff I got in the seafood dept at the local grocery store.

Poke the fish with fork holes, marrinate both sides for an hour or so each then place on a preheated outdoor gass grill. (it is important that the grate be hot so it doesn't stick) Cook for ten minutes on each side. Flip using two or three spatuals so it doesn't fall apart...or before grilling, cut each fillet into appropriate serving sizes.

My wife was even willing to eat this game...which is saying alot.

I've posted these in the past and have made them myself many times.

Trout Martini recipe
2/3 cup dry vermouth
1 trout
4 Spanish queen (very large) pimento-stuffed olives
1/8 cup capers
1/2 teaspoon dillweed
2 lemon wedges

Place one live trout into a martini glass, add gin and a splash of vermouth. Just kidding. Marinate the trout in vermouth for 4 to 5 hours in the refrigerator. (Zip-top freezer bags make excellent marinade containers because they can be folded so that all of the marinade is concentrated on the fish.)

Pour the marinade into a pan and simmer over medium low heat. The alcohol will evaporate, leaving only the martini taste. Slice the olives into thirds paralleling the pre-cut holes. Simmer the olives and capers in the vermouth until the olives begin to soften. Open the trout and poach the inside for several minutes until the meat whitens. Season the outside with dill; flip and poach each side for about 3 minutes.

Serve with cold lemon wedges and a light yellow-rice dish, and, if you must, substitute the sauvignon for a martini, painfully dry, chased with a tall glass of ice water

Trout Amandine recipe
8 to 12 (1/2 pound) trout
Milk
2 teaspoons salt, divided
6 drops Tabasco sauce
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon white pepper
2 cups (4 sticks) butter

Soak fish in milk, 1 teaspoon of the salt and Tabasco for 1 hour before cooking time. Prepare mixture of flour, 1 teaspoon salt and white pepper and lightly coat the damp fish inside and out before sautéing. Melt butter in each of 2 skillets that are large enough to cook 3 fish at a time. Heat butter to bubbling hot, but do not allow it to brown or brown the fish too quickly. Place trout in skillets and sauté approximately 5 minutes on the first side. Turn fish over and cook about 3 minutes on the second side. Take care not to overcook. As the trout are cooked, place them on a warm platter or directly on the plates and serve as soon as possible with a slice of lemon on each fish.

Sauce:
3/4 cup shaved almonds
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
Lemon slices (1 for each fish)

Trout Amandine

In a small skillet, melt butter. Heat and brown the almonds. After browning the almonds, add the lemon juice, parsley, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Heat the mixture before spooning onto each trout. Keep some in reserve to put in a bowl for the table.

Here's a pretty simple broil/grill recipe that (IMO) works fine for virtually any fish worth broiling from walleye to grouper to salmon and steelhead.

Pour maybe 3 tablespoons of olive oil (or alternately, use butter or margarine) in a small container. Add about 1.5 tbsp. of lemon juice. Then add 1.5 tsp. minced garlic (or a commensurate amount of garlic power, not garlic salt) 1/2 tsp dried dill and 1/2 tsp. black pepper.

Stir well. If it's goopy (as it may be if you use garlic powder) add olive oil or lemon juice until it's more viscous and can be brushed on to the fish.

Brush the mixture onto one side of the fish. Broil/grill 10 minutes per inch of thickness or a fraction of same for thinner fish. Turn and brush other side and grill it for a shorter period (maybe 5 minutes) or until obviously done.

Eat. IMO, it's as good as anything and a lot less monkeying fiddling around...

This was a recipe we used for carp out of the Monongahela River. It should be useful for Erie Steelhead as well:

Mix juice of two freshly squeezed lemons with a pinch of salt, a dash of pepper, 4 tablesppons of softened butter, and 2 tablespoons of corn starch. Paint filets thickly with resulting paste. Preheat oven to 400 and arrange filets on wooden breadboard. Cook for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, throw fish away and eat the breadboard.

I first heard that recipe last summer used for bluefish except they were bricks instead of boards...

I heard something similar for sturgeon.

Jack I love that recipe. Some of the best boards I ever ate :)

I like dipping the fillets in butter (or a butter substitute) then covering them with italian bread crumbs. Bake them in the oven at about 325 for 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillets. Then when you take them out of the oven, if you desire, squeeze an orange or lemon over the fillets.

Ship?! Where in Sam Heck you been?

I had an extremely busy fall between hunting, training for a marathon, studying for the CPA exam, and being really busy at work. The little time I did get on the internet I tended to hover around the hunting boards, but now that everything has settled down I'm ready to get back to some fishing. Hopefully I can get out for just the 2nd time since October this weekend.

1 cup soy or teriyaki sauce
3/4 cup sesame oil
1 tbsp of lemon juice
1/4 tsp of powdered ginger

Mix that as a marinade, you can also add chopped garlic if you would like. Put the salmon or steelhead in a ziploc bag and marinade at least 1 hour, more if you like a stronger flavor of marinade.

Grill or broil to your liking. For salmon, I prefer medium-medium rare. I serve this with rice and either sugar snap peas or some sort of veggie.

The recipie is good for any hearty fish and also chicken breasts.

Like jaybo, I use a teriaki marinade. We like to grill our fillets on the gas grill outside with the scale side down. Once the fish is done, it will lift right off of the charred skin. Mmmm!

I have tried many "rubs", Marinades, etc and call me a simpleton but I still find myself going back to my favorite recipe for trout. I personally don't find trout to be "fishy" but rather light for fish. My favorite way to prepare them is to scale the trout, remove the head and dredge the trout in flour LIGHTLY seasoned with fresh ground pepper and a DASH of Old Bay. Melt real butter in a cast iron skillet until it just starts to bubble. Fry the trout belly down with the sides splayed apart until golden brown, flip over on one side and then the other until golden brown, serve with fried potatoes and veggie of choice and a horseradish/sour cream/dill dipping sauce. The back bone and ribs usually lift right away from the flesh and it is exquisite! Even the crunchy tail is good!

JackM wrote:
This was a recipe we used for carp out of the Monongahela River. It should be useful for Erie Steelhead as well:

Mix juice of two freshly squeezed lemons with a pinch of salt, a dash of pepper, 4 tablesppons of softened butter, and 2 tablespoons of corn starch. Paint filets thickly with resulting paste. Preheat oven to 400 and arrange filets on wooden breadboard. Cook for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, throw fish away and eat the breadboard.

Jack,

Try this with a cedar plank. Cooking on cedar planks is the latest fad.

This response is in reference to Maurice's response.

I've heard the milk thing before, but until recently had never tried it. I'm not fond of steelhead as a meal. A couple years ago, a friend asked me to bring one home for him to try. After showing him how to cut it into steaks and fillets, I told him about the milk thing. He tried it, and cooked some up. Everyone who had some said it was the best they ever had. Well, this summer I gave it a try with catfish fillets, only I used buttermilk. My wife suggested it (she is an excellent cook). Definite improvement.

Yeah, its something about the lactic acid breaking down some of the proteins in the fish. A chef that belongs to our camp does it for any fish-like food including his frog legs. I learned it from him.

Back