Recently moved to Philadelphia looking for good trout streams

teebs4140 wrote:
if I was planning on going out this Thursday and these were the streams I was considering which one would you guys recommend for someone who isn't a beginner but still has lots to learn?
Saucon
French
Ridley
thanks

Why not just flip a coin and go check out that stream and have fun?

If you're looking for more detailed info about particular streams, I'd support getting Landis' book (as mentioned further up this thread). Also, the "Where to Fly Fish" link in the upper right side of this page is helpful and finally the PFBC website which lists stocking dates and which streams are Class A wild trout streams. You may also care to scroll through our Stream Reports and Fly Fishing Locations forums as there is a lot of info there as well.
If you're somewhat new to fly fishing I'd personally recommend you stick to stocked streams this time of year. French and Ridley would be good choices (or Wissahickon). There might be more fishermen there, but fish will be easier to catch. By summertime, you will want to drive further as these streams likely will not have trout after mid July, sometimes earlier depending on weather.

Thanks I won't post anymore questions in this thread. I'm obviously using those links to find streams given the fact I am asking about specific streams. Haven't been in PA more than a month but I'll figure it out. Thanks again

Saucon, because if they aren't hitting there they may be hitting on the Monocacy, Bushkill or Little Lehigh, all very close by. If you go PM me I live close to all of them. Plus I know the Perkiomen well, ignore the comment about Valley C being the only good one, they're all good.

There are some stocked streams in the region, some even have a smattering of wild trout. Likewise, Valley Creek is full of wild browns.

Enjoyable days can be had within an hour of the city.

But generally speaking, you are in the city. There are not a ton of options, and what is there aren't exactly secrets, they'll be crowded. The more north and west you go, the better.

Allentown, Easton, Reading, etc. have a few options as well. But once you get n or w of there things get better, and start to resemble the rural, forested state more. Get into the mountains for that.

You owe it to yourself to learn the Pocono's a little or take a trip up to the central part of the state. We have a get together called the "jam" near State College the weekend of the 16th-18th, in prime PA fishing country where you can meet many members that can help you learn the state. We're a friendly bunch and feel free to join.

If you are into it, the best situation for a Philly guy is to do the 1 hour type trips reasonably frequently, and then 2 and 3 hour trips as often as time allows.

Also note that Valley Creek, in the park section, might "smell" a bit. They recently had a massive sewage leak that took a long time to fix. I'd either fish above that, or else be a little careful with stuff like biting line.

Entered the water near the upper end of the park water.

If you are looking for a little more scenery or the feeling that you are not in a large city, then I would suggest the Wissahickon over the Pennypack. Additionally, it is closer to you. A much less scenic part of the Wissahickon is in Fort Washington State Park and receives relatively light pressure. To your advantage, it was discovered this year that the fishing pressure is so light, so, in effect, it was overstocked. That will be corrected next year, but for now you should be able to experience exceptionally good catch rates.

Thanks a lot for the tips. I got my first PA trout at wissahickon on Saturday. I tried valley creek on Sunday but wasn't having any luck. Got a lot of bites just couldn't seem to set the hook. Saw quite a few rising near the park area. Is the fishing better upstream of the park? If so do you just park down by that bridge and start walking up stream?

yes you can park by the bridge and walk upstream, there are also a couple pull offs on the road up stream, however up that way i know a week or so ago there were still signs up saying don't go in the water from the sewage spill. not sure if that is still the case.

Back