Recent Rock Snot sitings?

I've seen a lot of slimy green stuff in the Yough and Big D. rivers
Not sure if it was didymo.
I'll look for the white tail next time

No part of didymo is green. It's all a dirty white color.
I think that Didymo that's alive is a brown to dark brown color. All diatoms use photosynthesis to live. When it undergoes these blooms parts of it die and I think those are what is bleached white.

It's been documented to be in the Yough river below the dam.
How far downstream would it typically be found then?
If I'm fishing say 10, 20, even 30 miles below - should I assume it's still in the river?

There's a little bit hanging on just below the tailrace at Jennings Randolph in western MD, just below the upper wire/no trespassing signs. At least there was some last year up there. It used to be worse years ago but hasn't been throughout the lower river (that I've noticed) since then.
It was there a couple weeks ago

OP, the best place to find it is in a tailwater, the closer you get to the dam the more there is. Red posted the months where it is heavy but it can be found almost year round at the top of tailwaters.

OP, the best place to find it is in a tailwater, the closer you get to the dam the more there is. Red posted the months where it is heavy but it can be found almost year round at the top of tailwaters.
Here's a good overview of the different types of Didymo found, the "long-stalk" which gives rise to rock snot blooms, and the "regular" stalk.

Here's a good overview of the different types of Didymo found, the "long-stalk" which gives rise to rock snot blooms, and the "regular" stalk.

Some good info but also some outdated stuff on humans being the cause of spread.

Here is a microscope image of the "long stalk" form of Didymo from material that I collected near Prettyboy Dam.
Bill

Attachments

• pystkd_sup1.jpg
    pystkd_sup1.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 28
Here is a microscope image of the "long stalk" form of Didymo from material that I collected near Prettyboy Dam.
Bill
And here's an image of the cleaned material using a 25X objective on dried sample.

Attachments

• IMG_0507A.jpeg
    IMG_0507A.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 19
I was on the Gunpowder yesterday for a few hours. The didymo was pretty heavy above the Falls Rd. bridge.

I fished the Gunpowder Saturday, luckily I believe its my last outing with those shoes as theyre about shot anyway

I fished the Gunpowder Saturday, luckily I believe its my last outing with those shoes as theyre about shot anyway
It was bad yesterday, but I think it's about over for the year (I hope.)

It was bad yesterday, but I think it's about over for the year (I hope.)
I tried fishing the Gunpowder this evening (below Masemore Rd). Unfortunately the didymo is still very much there. I gave up in frustration after literally having to clean my leader and flies after every drift.

We need rain for several reasons, not least of which hopefully to wash away some of the didymo.

I was on vacation with my family in Deep Creek last week. Fished the Savage River a few miles below the dam on Tuesday and Wednesday. A lot of gray slime. As stated above, I had to frequently clean off my flies. Not sure if this is what you are talking about. Fortunately, I caught some nice fish. Dried out and washed my boots once I got home.

Back