Recent Rain

salmo

salmo

How has Central and North Central Pennsylvania made out in the recent rain events?

No well at all, they need rain badly in the NC region. They might get some rain come the middle of next week. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
We need rain around SW PA badly
My lawn is browning out.

The remnants of hurricane Beryl was supposed to hit us Wed thru Fri, but it tracked further north.
And we got nothing

No better here in the southeast, Bucks County.

Reactions: Kms
little rain yesterday and last night, nice to see it being damp outside for a change, but we need a good long soaker to really help out.

This tells the same story:
1. PA Drought Monitor, July 11
24 Hour Rainfall totals   July 13 11 AM

We got a whopping .14". A few miles away got over half an in. One real rain here this summer and late Spring. Seems like every time they forecast a big rain it goes to our East or break up West of here.

The pop-up storms in recent days have helped a bit here in SCPA but they all seem to miss Gettysburg and my lawn has been brown since last month. We could definitely use some more precip.

This big coastal front the weather nerds have been talking about may help SEPA but it looks like it may only graze my neck of the woods, if at all.

The pop-up storms in recent days have helped a bit here in SCPA but they all seem to miss Gettysburg and my lawn has been brown since last month. We could definitely use some more precip.

This big coastal front the weather nerds have been talking about may help SEPA but it looks like it may only graze my neck of the woods, if at all.
Dear Dave,

It's drier than a one hump camel fart around SGL 211 just north of Harrisburg. I literally haven't cut my lawn since the week of Memorial Day and while some weeds are standing tall and proud in this heat and humidity, I'm content to let nature take her course.

Without starting a debate, I literally can't get over how wild the weather has been in the 20 plus years I have lived in Fishing Creek Valley. We have had years when literally no moisture has fallen from the sky all year and years when it was literally too wet to do anything all year.

Before I die, I would like a run of "average" weather, instead of seeing extremes from year to year. A Winter with 40 inches of snow, followed by a Spring with enough rain that you can stand outside in mid to late March and smell the worms coming out of the ground would be nice for starters. Throw in a Summer where the weather actually breaks for more than 24 hours and features a couple of sessions of protracted gradual rain over several days. And as long as I am wishing, a Fall where the leaves start changing at the first hint of frost and continue over several weeks would be nice too!

A boy can hope! ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

No rain here in central PA either. The only good thing is my beautiful brown lawn that doesn't need mowed. With the hot weather and an injury to my good knee in what'll probably be my last effort at basketball at 74 (I'll miss it), I have not even been tempted to fish in water that is very warm and that would be harmful/deadly to any trout caught and released.

I am rooting for significant rain and cooler temps -- they are tentatively scheduled for later next week, after another heat wave.

I totally echo Tim Murphy's Post #12.

The pop-up storms in recent days have helped a bit here in SCPA but they all seem to miss Gettysburg and my lawn has been brown since last month. We could definitely use some more precip...

Beginning at the end of May I raised my mower deck another notch and after June 2, I didn't cut my grass for about a month until last week after got some rain at the very end of June. That helped a LOT as it didn't look too bad.

One thing I learned years ago after seeing my brown grass footprints across the lawn during a drought is staying OFF your grass as much as possible helps a lot, especially with a heavy mower.

As usual, I am always looking for an excuse NOT to cut grass... ;)

I just checked the radar, and that was a FAST .80" of rain. We'll take what we can get.

It took all of about 15 minutes and more is coming SHORTLY and later this afternoon.

I was ready to head out the door to go shopping when I saw the dark clouds so I talked myself out of leaving. Other things I talked myself out of once the rain started:

Going shopping at all even though one stop was supposed to be for booze​
Cooking dinner outside on the grill​
Cutting the grass (that was easy) ;)

Poor me will just have to drink & watch TV while I shuck some of fresh local sweet corn and make a salad with the local cukes, zukes & cherry tomatoes I bought yesterday from my farmer buddy down the road...

Here's to rain!!!!!!!! (y)

In my neck of ncpa we got good rain last wednesday and a localized heavy thunderstorm last night dropped about 2/3 of an inch. Rain hasnt done much for the creeks. Just as much as i want rain, I am much looking forward to a break from this heat and humidity.

In my neck of ncpa we got good rain last wednesday and a localized heavy thunderstorm last night dropped about 2/3 of an inch. Rain hasnt done much for the creeks. Just as much as i want rain, I am much looking forward to a break from this heat and humidity.
Dear lycofisher,

I hear you loud and clear. Three weeks ago in Harrisburg they were saying on the news we had only had one day over 90 degrees which was unusual. Since then we've probably had 17 or 18 days in the last three weeks where the temperature topped 90 degrees. When the weather has broken it has been short-lived. We had 9 straight days over 90 degrees, about a half day in the mid-80's and followed that up with another 7 days stretch over 90 degrees.

Enough already!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I was out doing a little micro fishing on Thursday at a local small stream and was surprised when I got there that the water was high(er) and off color. That was after .74" of rain.

I'm sure it was back to its previous low state by Friday afternoon but it was encouraging because it's a dinky creek that travels though woods & farmland and doesn't drain a large area.

It's raining again as I write this so things are looking up, at least temporarily.

Back