Received new Riverstick wading staff: excellent.

Kms

Kms

I had been using on a Hammers wading staff - which was cheap, but in truth served me well on as I stumbled around the Lehigh - but considering how much I relied on it I felt I should get something more durable. Hence the Riverstick:

IMG 3494

Far more stout, clearly. And yes a bit heavier, but of no consequence since it fits easily on my back belt, along with a heavy duty gear keeper tether (I’m using a gearkeeper “super force” handgun retractor with 24oz force, rather than the wading staff retractor with only 9oz, btw).

IMG 3495

More expensive than the Hammers at $110 plus shipping, but definitely far, far cheaper than a knee injury.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club…er, staff.

I’m on my second one. My first one was a bit longer than I wanted so I sold it to a board member here and promptly ordered another. I’ve never had any problems with mine, other than needing to replace the rubber tip a couple times. I carry several of them with me in my reel bag.

Reactions: Kms
Welcome to the club…er, staff.

I’m on my second one. My first one was a bit longer than I wanted so I sold it to a board member here and promptly ordered another. I’ve never had any problems with mine, other than needing to replace the rubber tip a couple times. I carry several of them with me in my reel bag.
The Riverstick also slips into its carrier far more easily than the Hammer’s did its holster. And four pieces is nicer than five.

Last edited:
The Riverstick also slips into its carrier far more easily than the Hammer’s did its holster.
It’s equally easy to remove the staff from the holder (coincidentally, it’s actually a hammer holster, as you probably know, but not to be confused with your other Hammer wading staff. You’ll appreciate this more if you wade someplace where you want to get you staff out quickly to use it.

Reactions: Kms
I'm also a recent convert and love mine. It's probably heavier than all of the carbon fiber options out there, but it feels bomb proof. I find myself using it on every trip now as much a walking stick for bush whacking as a wading staff. Fantastic product with easily sourced parts if you need repairs.

Back