Really

if you are midge fishing just knot your tippet-
my companion is really big on protecting all animals-gets upset if she sees anything about harming some-the other day her grand-daughter and girl friend were down here visiting-companion was ranting about a story on mis-treating a dog-when she paused I asked her if she wanted to go to Chick-fila [sp] to get a sandwich-
she said okay-the gals laughed-she missed the point,again..

sorry-AT&T is a joke..

JackM wrote:
I couldn't do it.

I did it for about a half hour by accident once.

Hook had broken off.

It wasn't fun.

lol

congrats tenkara, you're no longer the silliest thing on the stream!

Oh calm down, it's just a joke.

This technique is still unethical...the fish eat your fly because they are hungry. Now you are presenting fake food to them. Its just teasing the fish having them waste energy and getting zero nutrients to replenish the energy wasted!

bigjohn58 wrote:
This technique is still unethical...the fish eat your fly because they are hungry. Now you are presenting fake food to them. Its just teasing the fish having them waste energy and getting zero nutrients to replenish the energy wasted!

It's giving them blue balls, basically...

Article was written on 4/20...Hmm.

Double post, oops

so is it the site saying our connection was interrupted?

I'm not sure that ethics has anything to do with it. Although I don't think I could ever deliberately fish flies with no hook, I find myself from time to time not bothering to set the hook, and trying to shake off fish that I do hook. This is usually after after already caught a lot of fish that day. I may not be ready to go home, but really, what's the difference between releasing, say, 21 trout versus 20? It's more bother to unhook the fish than the amount of satisfaction that I get out of doing so.

I've also on occasion kept fishing a fly whose point is broken or bent, because the other fly in the team still has a good point, and I don't want to take the time to change flies. It doesn't bother me in the least that I fail to land fish that that took the broken fly. If nothing else, I've learned where fish lie at that flow rate and those hatch conditions, and can file the information away for later use. (As an aside, this is how I know for certain that fish will take a bare hook -- I couldn't be bothered to change a fly that fell apart.)

Of course, this only applies if I've been catching fish. On slow days, I want to land every fish that takes.

My view is that fishing, like hunting, is a blood sport. I don't care much for the well being of an individual fish, though I won't go out of my way to make it extra painful or anything like that.

I do care about fisheries. Just as I care about deer herds and the like.

I don't find anything ethically wrong with harvest if the fishery can handle it. And most can, but more popular places often can't. The test is that if every other fisherman that fishes here had the same impact as me, would the fishery be able to sustain it's current quality over time?

If a 95% vs. 100% survival rate or whatever makes that much difference, then perhaps no fishing signs should go up until things are more stable.

I often don't harvest, even where it would do no harm, not because of ethics but because harvesting is often more hassle than it's worth to me.

Interesting response redietz. I've also had days when a tore up fly continues to catch fish. In fact, sometimes the more torn up, the better it works.

This is especially true with fly fishing for panfish, but I've had those days with trout, too.

That could be a reflection on my fly tying ability (or lack there of) that the fish are more interested in a torn up fly, but I don't think so.

And stocked trout? Don't get me started, but they don't care if a fly looks "real." One opening day, the trout were ignoring my perfectly tied nymphs, and instead were hitting the foam stick on strike indicator. Solution? Put a stick on indicator on a hook, and the buckeye fly was born.

I'm guessing it looked like a wad of power bait. Match the hatch. LOL!

OK, I doubt I was the first to try this, and may not even be the first to name a fly after the Ohesian mascot, but I never pass up an opportunity to bash Ohio. All in fun, of course.

I'm not from Ohio, I only live there. ;-)

I've also had those days when rather than landing the fish, I just give it slack with the hopes it gets off on it's own. I love those days, but I still like having that option. ;-)

My views on the sport and on harvest are similar to pcrays.

ryansheehan wrote:
Maybe PA will be home to the first no hook fly fishing only section in the United States. Then we would have something to really ***** about.

This development will make it more difficult to get pictures of fish on rocks... We're probably going to end up with Photoshopped rocks..

salmonoid wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:
Maybe PA will be home to the first no hook fly fishing only section in the United States. Then we would have something to really ***** about.

This development will make it more difficult to get pictures of fish on rocks... We're probably going to end up with Photoshopped rocks..

That is the line of the week!!!!! Too funny.

Fishing that way is pointless.

I recall talking to George Harvey along Spring Creek years ago before he bought the farm. He told me that he snipped the point off of his flies. Just seeing the take was enough for him.

Just posting on PAFF is enough for me. Truth be told. :-D

Swattie87 wrote:
Just posting on PAFF is enough for me. Truth be told. :-D

Very zen-like Swattie.

Back