really tricky brookie

Maybe you were never meant to catch this guy, perhaps it's there for looking and enjoying. There are a bunch of techniques that can be used, I like getting above and letting slack line run down to him, maybe throw a San Juan on to catch his attention. Then if you get him to the net, let him go and enjoy watching him there the next time you hit the stream.

Do not move the log. That log is the reason the large brookie is there.

I was kidding about moving the log. . .

Let us know if you get em though.

ryguyfi wrote:
Spyder20oz wrote:
Try throwing rocks at him to get him to move

A fishing friend of mine told me a story using a "spook" technique.

Fishing for steelhead he saw a LARGE undercut rock wall. He figured it went about 10 feet back. There was a large riffle slightly upstream of this. He found a large branch, stuck it in the back of the undercut, and shook it all the way up. He saw upwards of 30 steelhead come out from underneath there into the riffle. He and his 2 buddies continued to catch fish in the ripple for the next 20-30 minutes, figured the fish went back underneath, which they did, and used his technique again. He said it worked to a charm and got a small boy to catch his first steelhead by him putting the fish in the faster moving water. I have done this by walking through a hole to put fish in the riffles before and had success, or thowing rocks to scare fish out of areas I can't get to them and coming back soon after to fish where they were then laying.

We call that "herding" 'round these parts.

ryguyfi wrote:
Spyder20oz wrote:
Try throwing rocks at him to get him to move

A fishing friend of mine told me a story using a "spook" technique.

Fishing for steelhead he saw a LARGE undercut rock wall. He figured it went about 10 feet back. There was a large riffle slightly upstream of this. He found a large branch, stuck it in the back of the undercut, and shook it all the way up. He saw upwards of 30 steelhead come out from underneath there into the riffle. He and his 2 buddies continued to catch fish in the ripple for the next 20-30 minutes, figured the fish went back underneath, which they did, and used his technique again. He said it worked to a charm and got a small boy to catch his first steelhead by him putting the fish in the faster moving water. I have done this by walking through a hole to put fish in the riffles before and had success, or thowing rocks to scare fish out of areas I can't get to them and coming back soon after to fish where they were then laying.

Never thought about doing it in Pa, but I know it is specifically illegal to disturb fish from undercuts or brush piles in NY. I've seen people get popped for it.

Boyer

If they were able to wade into the cover and spook them out with a stick into a riffle, I would imagine they were actually lining the fish as much as catching them as steel will surely get tight lipped and not turn-on after being spooked out into the open. Theres a reason they were hiding under there.
I'm not throwing accusations out there as I didnt realize what lining is about in my first trips when I did it and I'm sure I still do it today even on some fish I cant see and still catch.
Too many with the hooks on the outside of the mouth not to be lined fish.
Still fun, but not really rewarding.

fish 1/2 hr before sunrise or 1/2 hr after sunset with a #12 royal wulff .........hhhhhhmmmmmm

Back