Realistic Flies

swany50

swany50

Came across this site https://frostyfly.com/ with these realistic flies and nymphs. Has anyone used them?

I tried the caddis flies. I didn't like the wing. It looks realistic but it spun around terrible during casting, creating a twisted leader issue.
I have developed my own caddis pattern that perform well for casting and catch fish.
In my opinion the frosty flies are catching fishermen and not any more fish than an impressionistic representation already available.

I was thinking the closer they make these to the real thing we might as well start putting live bait on our lines.

They do look cool, especially the stonefly nymphs.

My first thought was all the detail in the tails, body, and wings, but the hackle seems all over the place.

If i was a trout I'd be all over those stone flies.

Agree that the stoneflies look nice.

Speaking as one who likes to tie flies realistically, I've found through tough experimentation that flies that look great in the vise, often perform poorly in the water. Among the biggest problems with realistic flies is their tendencey to spin both in the water and in the air during casting. Another common problem is how they float or drift - many of these flies don't float well or tend to flip upside down when drifted or stripped.

Flies like these are worth a try but don't buy or tie up a bunch until you get to test fish 'em.

Dave_W wrote:
Agree that the stoneflies look nice.

Speaking as one who likes to tie flies realistically, I've found through tough experimentation that flies that look great in the vise, often perform poorly in the water. Among the biggest problems with realistic flies is their tendencey to spin both in the water and in the air during casting. Another common problem is how they float or drift - many of these flies don't float well or tend to flip upside down when drifted or stripped.

Flies like these are worth a try but don't buy or tie up a bunch until you get to test fish 'em.

100% Agree! Realistic flies do not seem to produce as well as flies with feathers and fur. I think its the movement in those materials that out preform the plastic realistic flies.

I love looking at realistic flies. I don't fish them. I prefer a fly that looks alive and gives the impression that it is yummy.

I may try them. I've been tying the heck out of Lively legs lately but I use my standard nymph materials (squirrel, turkey, and all it those) I never really tied soft hackle but in my experiences the LL are 2-3 times more effective. I just like how they look when they are done. I'm going to give the May fly nymphs a shot????.

I just received the grasshopper bodies and legs and glued them together. they sure look like the real but I just read where they're not legal in certain special regs areas. Molded facsimilies?

Back