Re-soling Weinbrenner Gary Borger Ultimate Wading Shoe?

MattM

MattM

Weinbrenner is out of the business of making wading boots, as most know. My Weinbrenners are in need of a resoling. Does anyone know of a cobbler that can do this? The felts are sewn on and have the triple stack heel which makes them so great at gripping big rocks. I'm thinking I might try but I would not be able to sew them back the way they were made. Anyone else have these boots or know someone that can resole felt boots?

I don't know any decent cobblers or shoe guys here in Erie, let alone in Bucks County. It's kind of a dying art...

But I will say this: I did my own re-sole jobs on my Weinbrenners for quite a few years and never lost a sole (or even had one budge or loosen on me..), even over a decade in the thigh-deep sucking goop in the margins of the WI/Iowa Driftless streams. If you're more interested in functionality than aesthetics and can do without the stitching, I think you can do the same and do a job that you won't have to worry about coming apart on the water.

The keys (IMO, anyway...) are to make sure both surfaces are totally clean and and level as possible. You can even leave some of the old felt on so long as it is clean and doesn't make a big bump. I used a wire brush to do this. Than use Barge and only Barge. Not Goop or even Aquaseal. Barge in the yellow can/tube. Use 150-200% as much Barge as the directions of the kit call for. The felts will suck up a lot of glue, so use more. Stuff your boots tight with wads of newspaper to make a disposable last. Glue the soles on with a lot of Barge and then wrap the entire job tight with duct tape and leave it alone for at least 12-16 hours.

If you can get the remaining heel section pretty close to level, you can do the same with it and retain most of the stack advantage you mentioned.

Point is, (IMO..) you don't really need to have new soles sewn on in order to have peace of mind that they'll stay put. Get a clean bond and use lots of Barge..

I recently resoled my weinbrenner boots. And it wasn't hard.
I used a very sharp razor knife to remove the felt from the insole - including the stitches.
When I was done, there were a few spots where I didn't quite get all of the felt off. I carefully removed them with a wire wheel on our bench grinder at work.
As for attaching the new soles, I agree with RLeep about using barge cement - it's great stuff. However, I used the glue that came with the felt sole kit I bought - can't remember it's name now - but it wasn't barge. And it worked fine.
My kit had 2 sets of heels - 2 heels on each boot instead of 3. But I really didn't even notice the difference when walking in them.
I used these boots last season - with no problems so far.

If you have the time to do it - and are so inclined - I would also recommend doing it your self

Thank you for the advice. I forgot to mention I have studded soles as well. Not sure how they are attached to the midsole but I would assume screwed in. I would like to reuse the studs if possible. I think I may give it a go and may try and find the correct materials to re-sew them as well. Any suggestions on felt sole kits?

Check with Mike's Shoe Repair in Lansdale.
There's also a shoe repair on Germantown Ave in Chestnut Hill. Call ahead and you can probably get them done while you have lunch on Germantown Ave.
Google also shows a shoe repair in Doylestown and Newtown.

Matt: I always used studded felts as well on my Weinbrenners. The one time I could not get a studded replacement kit and had to use plain felts, I reused most of the studs from the old pair by taking an exacto knife and cutting them out of the remaining, worn down felts. It can be a little tedious getting the holes big enough to use a pair of needle nose to wobble them out. But once you have them out, its easy to insert them into the new felts by simply drilling a small hole and pushing them through from the top. None of the studs I've seen or worked with were threaded and they did not screw in. Instead, they were flanged near the top with a flat head.
You just need to make the holes small enough to "grip" them a bit when you push them through from the top or shoe side of the felt. Gravity and the flange (and lots of glue...) does the rest of the job of keeping them in place..

I have a new unused pair of Weinbrenners I bought maybe 15 years ago, never had them out of the box. I haven't looked at them for years. They're in my cabin at Hemlock Acres, I can't remember if they have studs or not. Are those studs Rleep2 described available anywhere?

There is a shoe cobbler near the liquor store ,by the Doylestown Post Office ,you might want to try there

http://rmresole.com/shop/category.php?id_category=9

Thank you for the leads on cobblers. JF,what size are the new Weinbrenners you have stored at Hemlock Acres? If you are interested in parting with them PM me
Thank You

Back