Raystown Branch of the Juniata River

E

edhank

Has anyone been to the Raystown Branch of the Juniata this year? I stopped this afternoon at the last crossing before Breezwood heading east on Rt 30. The water was off color it seemed with a lot of solids in the water. It also seemed that the bottom had a nice layer of fine silt covering the rocks from bank to bank.

Its been a couple of years since I fished this river for bass and I don't remember it being like this. I used to catch a lot of smallies there but sadly, not too many today.

I've never fished the river that far up so I can't offer any comments on habitat change, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about bad smallie fishing..if you read other WW threads here you will find that no one has been thrilled with their smallie fishing this year statewide..

jifigz wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about bad smallie fishing..if you read other WW threads here you will find that no one has been thrilled with their smallie fishing this year statewide..

Agree with this. ^

It's been a few years since I fished that section of the Raystown Br. It was often a mixed bag for me - generally a numbers stream with good redbreast sunny activity. I rarely caught big SMBs there but it showed me some good days.

Back