Rattles?

JeremyW

JeremyW

Does anyone tie in rattles either the store bought glass ones, or homemade?

IF I think a rattle would be beneficial on a fly (like a crayfish pattern) in a particular situation, while fishing I'll thread an extra small bead or two on my tippet above a beadhead fly, similar to the way a Carolina Rig works...

...and yes I carry loose beads and conehead cones in my bass fishing gear.

I don't bother adding real rattles.

IF I think a rattle would be beneficial on a fly (like a crayfish pattern) in a particular situation, while fishing I'll thread an extra small bead or two on my tippet above a beadhead fly, similar to the way a Carolina Rig works...

...and yes I carry loose beads and conehead cones in my bass fishing gear.

I don't bother adding real rattles.
that's a solid idea, I have some of those beads ...

Use the littlest brass beads or beads made of glass or plastic so you don't make your fly TOO heavy.

If you do go the rattle route, don't bother with the plastic ones. They're dull sounding. Glass is the best.

Whenever I tie things like Drunk's and Swinging D's I always incorporate rattles.

I've used rattles in some of my flies. Clousers, Crease flies, sometimes poppers. Might have to tie up a couple of crayfish patterns with them to see if it makes a difference. I use glass rattles rather than plastic ones
Here's a couple of flies. One with a rattle, the other with beads.

I have found that the glass rattles crack way to easily and let water in and they stop working. So I have switched to plastic ones, but they don't come in the smaller sizes the glass ones do.

i've messed around with bead chain and mono on some muddler type flies.
IMG 3035
IMG 3036

Back