Raniest Ever

S

Sylvaneous

Ray Petlin of KDKA weather reported that this is the wettest start of a year, I"m guessing January to now, ever on record. His data showed, or the weather services's data showed that , at the Pittsburgh airport, it is 8.22 inches ! It could NOT rain for 2 entire months and we'd only be at average. Wow.

The whole state is above average, which is good as we’re coming off a couple relatively dry, but not disastrously dry, years. But, the Pittsburgh area in particular has been really wet. For most of the state, it’s far from record setting though.

A couple more days of these warmer than avg temps.. will have the state in a drought watch lol lol lol

friend of mine was talking about this before we made our first trip up to Penns, and he said in the past few years, the avg was around 320cfs, on our trip it was around 480cfs. He kept saying that it was really really high in his experience, then i reminded him of the lack of water for the past few years (specially the lack of snow) and he took a deep dive into the history and the past 4 or so years were below avg. Penns this year for him is closer to a typical year then the previous years hes fished it.

We have had normal to above avg winter precipitation, just not a lot of total snow fall. While snow if it slowly melts can help recharge groundwater, the snow melt we experience in pa has little to no impact on flows in May and June.

8" surplus over a 5 month period is quite excessive. Hopefully it is not a precursor to a major flash flooding event or an "Appalachain Runner" tropical remnant flooding later in the year.
Modeling guidance suggests an unsettled pattern in to June . So maybe that surplus grows?

Stream flows are very good right now.

Another announcemant from the Weather Man: PIttsburgh has 13" of rain this year. That is 2nd only to 1901. The rain gage at Oil Creek or Franklin has 17" for the year. So yeah, it's wet. But this doesn't really 'help' us later there isn't rain then. This isn't snow in the mountains.
So far, it has deeply curtailed my spring fishing. Rain in June and July helps creeks in June and July.
Very wet year, so far.
Syl

The gauge at Waterville just took a good jump. May be good conditions below Slate Run early next week, despite the predicted 80-degree days.

We had more good storms roll through sections of my area of the state just yesterday. I am loving this spring for our trout stream levels. Things aren't blown out and they really haven't been much at all, but they are getting good boosts to their flows and maintaining awesome levels going into summer. If the rain patterns hold up, it will be good summertime trout fishing in many areas.

Back