Rainy day fly tying

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

With the weather being so cold and rainy today, I decided to stay in and tie some flies. I bought some beadalon beading wire at a craft store recently, because I heard that it is a good material for connecting hooks when tying articulated streamers. Also got some plastic beads with an order I placed at Jann's Netcraft, and so today I sat down and tried my hand at a couple big streamers:

20150410_110929.jpg

I'll have to work on spinning deer hair, as well as filling out my big streamers a little better. It seems like the body of the streamers are a little sparse in some areas.

While tying big streamers, I got a little sidetracked and also tied a foam and deer hair mouse fly. I had tried tying one with a trailing hook previously, but this time opted for a size 2 3xl streamer hook. Seemed to work out OK, but I really had to trim the underside of the fly so that the hook wasn't blocked by deer hair.

20150410_111012.jpg

And since I had those #2 streamer hooks out, along with all that saddle hackle and marabou, I tied a couple big wooly buggers for bass:

20150410_120054.jpg

And while I'm thinking about bass flies, why not whip up an EP minnow?

20150410_151958.jpg

By the end of this tying session, my tying desk was a complete disaster!

20150410_120223.jpg

Nice stuff Jeremy!

GenCon

Back