Rainbow?

GHM

GHM

About 2 months back I headed out west to some of the northern states including Washington and Oregon. It was mostly a family vacation, but I managed to sneak away for some fly fishing. I caught some nice fish and lost some even nicer ones. There was one small fish that really got me thinking. Does anyone have any clue why it is this color? Is it a rainbow? Diet is the first thing that comes to my mind, any other opinions? I’d love to hear some thoughts.
IMG 0629

Genetics, habitat adaptations, food, ?. GG

Gorgeous fish!! I’d say bow.

Rainbow.

Fish colors are based on genetic,habitat- where they live and what they eat (what GG said)

For example here is a Paiute Cutthroat which have no spots , usually very bright and this one not the great representation of what I had hoped- but I did not want to go any further on that journey.

It was caught in a little canyon with lots of shade and therefore it took on a darker color.

Some fish may appear a color of the majority of their food as well.

Curious- why wouldn’t you think it was a rainbow?

Attachments

• IMG_7083.jpeg
    IMG_7083.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 52
Rainbow.

Fish colors are based on genetic,habitat- where they live and what they eat (what GG said)

For example here is a Paiute Cutthroat which have no spots , usually very bright and this one not the great representation of what I had hoped- but I did not want to go any further on that journey.

It was caught in a little canyon with lots of shade and therefore it took on a darker color.

Some fish may appear a color of the majority of their food as well.

Curious- why wouldn’t you think it was a rainbow?
I’m still relatively new to wild trout fishing and had no clue what species were in the area. Also I caught some that look like your average rainbow in the same spot and that one stood out as odd.
IMG 0631

Attachments

• IMG_0631.jpeg
    IMG_0631.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 9
Gotcha. I know a lot about native trout in the western US but far from an expert. Seems like you not having trouble catching them. 👍🏻

Reactions: GHM
Gotcha. I know a lot about native trout in the western US but far from an expert. Seems like you not having trouble catching them. 👍🏻
That day they were just circling the bank and I was watching them rise 20-30 feet in ultra clear water for a stimulator pattern. My favorite fish to catch in the west by far have to be Beardslee trout. They are so aggressive towards streamers.

I’ve fished a relatively small mountain stream in SW MT that has a large healthy population of rainbows that look quite similar to the darker shaded one that you caught. They are beautifully colored, with prominent dark black spots covering most of their body. The stream also has a few cutthroat, brook trout, and even a small population of grayling, so you never know for sure what you’re going to catch.

That stream is easily accessible, and close to one of Montana’s largest towns, but you rarely hear about it as many traveling anglers from out of state drive right by it on their way to the more publicized rivers. I‘ll never forget fishing that stream one summer day when I caught an even 100 of those beautiful trout on a single dry fly, and decided to stop then for the day as I felt I’d had enough.

I’ve fished a relatively small mountain stream in SW MT that has a large healthy population of rainbows that look quite similar to the darker shaded one that you caught. They are beautifully colored, with prominent dark black spots covering most of their body. The stream also has a few cutthroat, brook trout, and even a small population of grayling, so you never know for sure what you’re going to catch.

That stream is easily accessible, and close to one of Montana’s largest towns, but you rarely hear about it as many traveling anglers from out of state drive right by it on their way to the more publicized rivers. I‘ll never forget fishing that stream one summer day when I caught an even 100 of those beautiful trout on a single dry fly, and decided to stop then for the day as I felt I’d had enough.
Reminds me of a day the stockers weren’t biting in northern pa so I went blue lineing and caught 50+ brookies in one stream.
4 species in one small stream is amazing!

About 2 months back I headed out west to some of the northern states including Washington and Oregon. It was mostly a family vacation, but I managed to sneak away for some fly fishing. I caught some nice fish and lost some even nicer ones. There was one small fish that really got me thinking. Does anyone have any clue why it is this color? Is it a rainbow? Diet is the first thing that comes to my mind, any other opinions? I’d love to hear some thoughts.View attachment 1641232487
Caught rainbows with the same coloration on Crescent Creek in Oregon. I attributed it to specifics of habitat and food availability in that area. The water was stained, not dissimilar to some of the tannic waters found in the Poconos.

Back