Rain jacket

J

JohnPowers

Absolutely the lightest, compactable reasonably priced.

Lightest would be the Patagonia Houdini.

Columbia Omni tech jacket super light and works great!

I have a Patagonia Torrentshell that's at least 8 years old, and I'm really impressed with it. I believe they have an even lighter rainjacket now. My Torrentshell is now for running errands etc, and I have their River Salt wading jacket for fishing.

I have the ll bean GoreTex Paclite. They run big sales on it now and then, though I admit it's pricey for rain gear. But it's very light and packable, breaths well, comfortable. I like it.

pcray1231 wrote:
I have the ll bean GoreTex Paclite. They run big sales on it now and then, though I admit it's pricey for rain gear. But it's very light and packable, breaths well, comfortable. I like it.

This. ^

Love mine and use it for general wear in addition to outdoor pursuits.

I've got both the LL Bean mentioned and a Patagucci Torrential.....LL bean is cut short, for wading I guess, and isn't really versatile for day to day use, which is why I also have the Pataguch. fwiw...

I have 3 rain coats I use for fishing.

The thinnest is a North Face rain jacket. Works well and was cheap at the North Face outlet. It packs down to the size of a baseball and weighs less than a fart.

I have a packable Columbia one thats about twice and heavy as the North Face one. And lastly, I have a heavy Patagonia one I wear in the winter, awesome jacket but it far from packable.

The Houdini has a great DWR on it, but will wet out/through in a torrential downpour. The Outdoor Research Helium in 6.4 oz. in a men's large.

marmot mica jacket $160. super light. waterproof. roll it up into its own pocket. breathable. total i think is 7oz. not a fishing jacket so it doesnt have all of the pockets and stuff and its not meant to be worn in sub zero temps (although it could with the proper layering). but if you just want a really light waterproof shell that travels well, keeps the water out and can keep you warm in a light breeze its tough to beat.

The lightest cheapest rain jacket I have is actually for hiking/backpacking. It weighs 12 oz and can be folded up very easy. It has worked great for when I'm hiking.

It's made by Eddie Bauer, it has zippers in the pits to help with body heat. I've worn this jacket in all kinds of weather and am always glad that I chose this one. If I need it for warmer weather I just layer up. It's on sale now for $60.
http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/men-39-s-cloud-cap-lightweight-rain-jacket/38888580/_/A-ebSku_0880017770000080__38888580_catalog10002_en__US_EBSite?showProducts=

I have one I use for fly fishing made by Orvis and it's very nice and I like, it's light but it's not made anymore. I could use the one I mentioned above for flyfishing had I not bought it in a bright blue color. They sell it in other colors.

Go to Wally World and look for their Frogg Toggs rain-wear in the sporting goods section. For about $20 you get a light jacket that is very compact and breaths better than the expensive membrane materials. It's not very stylish and it may not fit as well as the more expensive options, but you also won't be upset if something bad happens to it.

Jessed wrote:
Columbia Omni tech jacket super light and works great!

Returned 2 under warranty because they leaked like crazy through the zippers. Total junk! After the second one they sent me a gift card that I sold. Done with Columbia!

Ended up getting a Frogg Togg Bull Frogg Rain Jacket and a Cabela's Rainy River Parka with GORE-TEX PacLite. I think I am really going to really like the Cabelas jacket!

Great ideas. The old dependable LL BEAN needs a break. I'm 70 in July and have to seriously ditch some weight. Thanks

Back