Rain jacket help

Ryno17

Ryno17

Hi everyone,
I’m interested in hearing some recommendations for a lightweight breathable rain jacket. I’m looking for one I can wear in the spring/ warmer weather. Let me know if you have any recommendation, favorites or any I should steer clear of please let me know. Also, if there are any features or specific things or features to look for when considering one please let me know that as well. Thanks !

If your looking for a true lightweight jacket thats breathable in warm temps you must know that it will not be durable like a 3layer goretex jacket. I have been really impressed with a marmot precip that you can pick up on sale sometimes as low as 50bucks or so. Super packable, has pit zips. Depending on temps and how much hiking I am doing dictates whether I even try to stay dry and wear a raincoat during the rain.

I have an Orvis Encounter breathable rain jacket. It suits me well all year except the nastiest cold & wet steelhead weather. It packs nicely into the back pocket of my vest. It has Velcro strips on the sleeves so water doesn't run down your elbows. One breast pocket, nice hood. Slash pockets on either side.

Never had an issue with my lightweight goretex jacket. I would stay clear of the so called Columbia waterproof jackets. They do leak around the seems and where water lays like around shoulders.

For fishing, I bought a lightweight Patagonia rain jacket from REI. I think it was the Torrentshell 3L jacket. It’s lightweight, packable, and keeps me dry. But then again, I don’t find myself needing a Goretex rain jacket for fishing because I’m just not out there in the rain that much.

For golf, however, that’s where I did spend money on a high-end Goretex rain jacket. I found mine from a shop in the UK, where effective golf rain gear is a must.

I'll second the Patagonia Torrentshell recommendation. Got one early this year. I used it during rain and used it as a windbreaker over a down vest. Really like it, nice and thin, easy to pack.

Patagonia for me. I have a jacket and an anorak.

Never had an issue with my lightweight goretex jacket. I would stay clear of the so called Columbia waterproof jackets. They do leak around the seems and where water lays like around shoulders.
Not to be argumentative but I have a Columbia outdry jacket and couldn’t be happier. Breathes well and has never disappointed. And unlike waterproof membranes it actually can’t wet out. That being said I’ve never been in conditions such that I’ve ever gotten goretex or other membranes to wet out but the possibility that can even happen had me get the Columbia. As you pointed out, in my experience as well it’s usually the seams that go first and that’s a risk I think is equal to all of the manufacturers.

FWIW and YMMV. There is no such thing as a “waterproof” jacket. They’re not like waders, and water is a worthy adversary. Water gets inside the collar or hoods and runs down. Even if they are fairly watertight otherwise. Yes, some are better than others, but none are extended duration downpour proof in my experience. You’ll eventually start to get wet.

That said, most will keep you reasonably dry and comfortable in both the relatively steady, but light rain scenario, and the temporary quick passing downpour (passing Summer thunderstorm for example). These are the two main situations anglers find themselves IMO. I don’t know a ton of guys who go fish all day on a day when you’re getting a heavy, couple inches type of rain. Most streams will blow out from that type of rain anyway.

I’ll add this to the above. Even if labeled as “breathable”, they’re not too good at dissipating heat. IMO rain jackets are good for fishing in Spring and Fall, air temps up to maybe 60 or so. Anything over that, if you’re doing any amount of walking, you’re gonna overheat, rapidly. They keep any heat from your lower body and mid section from ventilating out the top of your waders. (Assuming you’re wearing the jacket over your waders to attempt to stay dry.) During the Summer I’ll still carry a rain jacket, and I’ll put it on if I stop fishing and ride out a downpour under some pine trees or something, but if it’s light enough that I’m fishing through it, I’d rather just be wet. Things dry quick in Summer and at least you stay cool that way. If I put a rain racket on and keep fishing in Summer, I’m gonna be wet with sweat before long anyway.

Last edited:
I don’t know a ton of guys who go fish all day on a day when you’re getting a heavy, couple inches type of rain.
I did that....once. Not fun. Now, light and/or intermittent, Spring through Fall, is great fishing!

I have the Outdoor Research Helium. Keeps me dry. Stuffs the size of a baseball. The dilemma for me is taking a pill for my heart leaves me feeling the cold so during Hendrickson time a regular Gore Tex jacket can stay on all day rain or shine. The really light Stuffable jacket can stay on but packs easily also. I bought an X-LARGE even though I’m smaller so I can layer. Not the jacket if your bulling through brambles.
I did that....once. Not fun. Now, light and/or intermittent, Spring through Fall, is great fishing!

I have my eyes on the Patagonia Torrentshell as it won a gear contest for best protective jacket in the rain. I don't know about the breathability as I haven't bought it yet. I have a jacket that has a high breast zipper pocket that is annoying out of the water, but perfect with waders on. That's a nice feature to have.

My light jacket is a Patagonia SST. Most important feature is a cuff that seals around your wrists, neoprene or some of the similar materials. A snug nylon cuff with a velcro strap won't cut it - water will run down along your arms when your hands are raised to cast, fight fish, etc. Most of the basic light rain jackets, even those offered by the better companies do not feature the sealing cuffs, so choose carefully. Don't buy one without putting your hands on it and checking it out

Classicriver that is a good point, in my experience though most economical truly lightweight rain jackets do not offer that feature.

I have had a Cabela's (pre-bass pro) gore Tex jacket that was excellent. I bought it from the bargain cave even though it was a tad small. Ended up giving it to my nephew. The next was their higher end super dry or some catchy name. That thing was good for a 90 second passing shower or it leaked at the seams. Trash but I kept it to try some iron on seam sealing tape on. Some day I'll finish the project.

For the last couple of seasons, lightweight Simms Gore Tex which isn't really breathable but it is dry. Never leaked in a gully washer. Also have a Simms Gore Tex guide jacket. Wore this on a day of steady moderate / heavy rain. Breathable and not one leak in 7-8 hours. Made a miserable day bearable. My partner had a frog toggs and was soaked in less than an hour. He hated life for the next several hours.

I have an older Patagonia jacket, that's called H2 NO.
Very light weight and packable, and has worked well for me.

Personally, I don't need one with all the bells and whistles - like lots of pockets.
I just want it to keep me dry.
Throw it on over the vest when its raining.
Take it off when its over

Back