Rain Gear

J

joseywales

If you were spending valuable vacation time and money to go on a fishing trip and wanted rain gear, what would you buy (recommend)? The more specific you can be, the better. I see folks talking about Frogg Toggs, but they have so many options and prices that it's hard to tell what folks are talking about. Gortex is probably the best and if that's the case, I'd bite the bullet and pay the price.

I was heading out on a small trip, so quickly picked up Frogg Toggs Pilot Wading jacket. It was $70 and claims to be breathable. I didn't need it, so I can't say how it perfoms yet. It has no lining, so I'm not sure how comfortable it would be in warmed weather.

Criteria:

Breathablility - no sense keeping rain off if you're sweating like a farm animal.

Durability - I don't see me hiking through jungles with it. Just needs to hold up under typical fishing conditions.

Suit - For spin fishing from a boat, I'd want the full suit.

Maybe it's not possible to have a suit, where the hacket would serve well for fly fishing.
Anyway, just curious what you all might be using. I'm probably more concerned with being on a boat all day and staying dry, than I am with being dry on a stream fly fishing.

Simms, hands down for a wading jacket. They also make a bass angler style suit for boat fishing. I don't know that I would opt for that jacket to be worn on a stream but it would work if you needed it to.

frogg toggs !

Even the "breathable" ones are darn hot. They're a cool, rainy weather deal only for me. If its warmer than say 70 out, I'd rather just wear a quick drying shirt and get wet.

FWIW, I have a $200ish LLBean, that I'm happy enough with I guess. That being said, and in hindsight, I think I'd be equally as happy with a $50 Columbia, not necessarily fishing specific, closeout on STP. Both will keep you (relatively) dry and both will steam you in warmer weather.

I've ripped every pair of toggs I've had to date! That said..... If you're in a boat, or NEVER are going to be near brush I bet they work GREAT! I don't, I hike, and I'm not afraid to do it regularly. In as much toggs don't hold up for a hill of beans. I swear if theres ONE branch near me they'll be ripped in a 2 week trip, guaranteed including the last pair! They are light, and compact, but not worth a dime!

Sweating is a game of being comfortably cool, not warm. If its THAT warm I'm sweating under rain gear in a tshirt, I don't need the rain gear to begin with...thankfully that's not an issue I have up here! Though I did enjoy the warm rains growing up. There is no warm rains in Alaska LOL! If you're hiking take some cloths off, nuf said!

I prefer a Helle Hansen impertec jacket. I accidently grabbed my 3/4 length this spring. Really with waders there's no need to go that long for obvious reasons unless you're in hippers maybe.

Simms is great, but holy heck they are proud of their stuff! My fishing buddy is a simms manikin, he has the money... so be it. We both agree its no better than gear a faction of the price.

For the average working stiff, I think you'll be hard pressed dislike the impertec jackets.

http://www.amazon.com/Helly-Hansen-Workwear-Impertech-Fishing/dp/B00JEXWH14/ref=cts_ap_1_fbt

Columbia for me. Got the pants and the jacket for less than 50 bucks ten years ago. I still have the other 400.00 dollars that the Simms would have cost in my retirement account. I don't spend a lot of time in the rain so it's use is very occasional but they are packed and at the ready all the time.

I use a magnet to hang my landing net from a D-ring at the collar. So a criteria for me is a rain jacket that has an external D-ring in the same position.

In my opinion, find Columbia water-proof or something comparable on closeout. Found a very thin one that I can basically roll up into a ball and fit in my fishing pack, and I think it cost me about 20 bucks at Burlington Coat Factory. Just make sure its the water-proof, and not water-resistant. Been through a couple downpours with it and kept everything dry.

Lots of good ideas. When fly fishing, I doubt I'd fish for long in a downpour. Maybe just stay dry enough to wait it out.

One thing about the Frog Toggs jacket I have now is it does seem thick. No way I could roll it up and carry it. Would have to be worn out of the truck.

I bought a Columbia jacket and it was not very expensive.

It fits easily in the back pocket of my vest. I've used it in thunderstorms and it performed well.

The only complain I have is that is very difficult to draw up the hood with the drawstring, when it is raining and windy.

Maybe I just don't know how to do it the right way. But the drawstring seems too short to tie a good knot. And the string comes right across your face.

I had the same problem with another raincoat. So, it's good to check that feature out carefully before buying. I guess I overlooked that when trying on the jacket in the store. It's not raining then!

The thinnest Gore-tex you can find-- I am a believer.

JackM wrote:
The thinnest Gore-tex you can find-- I am a believer.

^ True. If I had only one raincoat, it would be a packable/breathable one in a size large enough to wear over heavy cold weather clothing.

I fish year round in a lot of conditions, so along with a packable raincoat, I have a heavy duty one for use in colder conditions and wear as a shell over my winter clothing. I wear it as a wind stopper as well as a rain or snow stopper.

A raincoat should be breathable to keep you warm and dry in cold weather, as well as cool and dry in warm weather.

I wear rain gear so infrequently that I go cheap. No question Gore-Tex is better but I just can't justify the $$$ for something that gets worn so infrequently.

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28497666

As for your requirements.

1. Breathability - this is the weakness. They're advertised as breathable, but the material itself I'd rate as poor breathability (what do you expect for the price?). The torso has a cape vent thing in the back and that works just fine to make it breathable without letting water in. On warmer days, though, my arms get clammy.

2. Durability - yeah, it's durable enough. Been through some briars and maybe a pinhole or two in the arms, but they don't run or rip or anything. "Ripstop" is a good name for the material, it'll puncture but not rip.

3. They sell pants too to make the suit. They are about $20. I didn't buy them as I'm wearing waders all the time anyway. I'd guess they have similar breathability problems as the arms.

In addition. Drawstrings in all the right places, Velcro cuffs are nice. Good pockets. It's just a shell, so no soft material on the inside so if I wade over it, it just drains right out, no problem. I go with the theory that I'll wear all the insulation I need under the waders, all I need is a shell.

And my #1 requirement of ANY rain gear is that it can stuff up very small. Because I don't wear it unless it's raining. More often if rain is in the forecast and I'm going far from the car, I roll it into a ball and stuff it down the rear of my waders. Or if I'm carrying a waste pack it has to stuff into there, along with my lunch and such. It's good for this. Stuffs into a nice little ball.

The other option is that if you have one of those multi-piece winter jackets from Columbia or similar, you can just take the liner out and use the shell.

you guys in gortex need to try the finest gortex you can standing in southeast Alaska. It will be the last gortex you own!

Boots is another place I see it fail regularly!

light mist or light short rain, it works fine....any kind of long drawn out game heavy or light I'm generally soaked more in gortex than I've ever been in rubber while climbing moutains!

I'm not sold on 'breathable' 'moisture barriers' for cloths. They just don't hold up!

If you are just standing still and fishing in not so hot weather you can save a ton of money by skipping a breathable membrane. Pit zips are a fantastic thing to find in a jacket as are a good way to cinch the hood tightly and comfortably around your head so wind will not blow your hood off/around. I personally love a breathable membrane and I am currently using a jacket made out of Polartec Neoshell. I love it. It has treated me amazingly well and is much more breathable than any of the Gore-Tex I've owned. But look for anything Gore-Tex, Neoshell, eVent, or the many other brands of excellent breathable materials out there and find what you can. Recommending a brand of clothing is worthless I believe as there are so many brands that utilize these fabrics and technologies at various price points. The company may only add features to these jackets and not improve the material itself that it is made of. Find a deal and something that fits right. Shop around. and in the end realize there are many, many more uses to a high quality breathable shell than just rain. And when the DWR is gone tech wash it and reapply a DWR.....it will last you for years.

I bought a Columbia Jacket and it was not very expensive, sheds the rain, and has held up well.

The problem is that the hood does not close up well. The drawstrings are short so it's difficult to tie a good knot. And the drawstring comes right across your face.

It's good to check out the hood closure carefully before buying. Because when it's rainy and windy, this is an important feature.

Back