Raft options

stroutman81

stroutman81

I've seen some older threads on the topic, but I have some specific questions concerning raft options.

I plan on fishing mostly with 1 other angler. On rare occasions there will be me and two anglers in the raft. I will not be fishing anything with crazy rapids. Think Schuylkill, Susky, Lehigh. Mostly day trips for trout or bass. It'd be nice to be able to load it in the back of a pickup bed and not need a trailer. It would also be nice to be able to float some smaller waterways like some of the Susky and Delaware tribs. I'm also entertaining the idea of occasionally throwing a gasoline motor on the back to motor up river and float back down to the truck on solo trips.

I realize that no single raft is best... but each time I narrow it down to a selection I find reasons to second guess myself. I was about to pull the trigger on the Stealthcraft Hooligan 3 man. I liked that it was longer than the Flycraft Stealth X. However, it's 5 inches narrower and and the tube diameter is 15" opposed to FC's 16". I'm told tube diameter matters when it comes to stability.

Then I started seriously considering the Saturn Triton 12'6 with an NRS Fishing Frame. I liked that this raft has great reviews and was 5 inches wider than the Hooligan. I also liked that the NRS frame, while minimal looking compared to the Hooligan's, seems very modular and customizable based on the needs of any given float.

Price isn't the issue here. They're all expensive. I want to get the best bang for my buck relative to a normal, day fly fishing trip.

I guess my questions are:

1) Does anyone have experience with these two rafts?
2) Does anyone swear by another raft (flycraft, smithfly, NRS, etc)
3) Does tube diameter really matter if you're not hitting class III water?
4) If I'm going to motor this raft occasionally (which I know is not ideal and requires a relatively light motor in that 2-5 hp range), should I try to avoid self-bailing?
5) Does anyone here have experience with the NRS Frame? Pros and cons vs. these package deals tailored to fishing like SC and FC?

Thanks in advance!

I have a drift boat, but I have friends that have the StealthCraft, FlyCraft and an NRS raft and I have fished in them all. They are all great for the water you suggest. I would say it really breaks down to if you want a 2 or 3 person raft. All of them are good IMO. I would go with the 3 person if it were me. I like the extra room and you add another person to row which gives you more fishing time.

If you want more specific details I can ask them and get back to you, just send me a PM.

I may be of no help here, but if you can load it in a pickup bed AND it’s a three man, aren’t the casters going to be really close to the rower? And each other?
And “ I'm told tube diameter matters when it comes to stability. ” I dunno about that either. Wouldn’t the further those tubes are from one another make the craft more stable? Larger tubes are (1) higher to step over and (2) catch more wind.
I have a two man toon. It suits me, but I do trailer it. I also row it upstream from a few put ins and float/ fish back down.
I know I didn’t add much here to help, but that tube diameter thing kinda caught my attention.

CLSports wrote:
I have a drift boat, but I have friends that have the StealthCraft, FlyCraft and an NRS raft and I have fished in them all. They are all great for the water you suggest. I would say it really breaks down to if you want a 2 or 3 person raft. All of them are good IMO. I would go with the 3 person if it were me. I like the extra room and you add another person to row which gives you more fishing time.

If you want more specific details I can ask them and get back to you, just send me a PM.

Thanks for the input. I'm definitely choosing a raft that can accommodate 3 people. I ruled flycraft out simply because I think their fancy marketing has allowed them to charge more for less. No offense to anyone who owns a FC. Comparing it to the SC 3 man for example, you're getting a heck of a lot more in the SC for meaningfully less money. And from what I hear, you've got comparable quality in each.

I've heard horror stories about SC's customer service, though... so there's that. I don't think that's enough to sway me away from them if I'm going with one of the pure fishing options. It's really between the hooligan 3 man or something like the saturn triton which I'd pair with an NRS frame.

When you fished in the NRS frame, did it feel lacking compared to, say, the SC?

DaveS wrote:
I may be of no help here, but if you can load it in a pickup bed AND it’s a three man, aren’t the casters going to be really close to the rower? And each other?
And “ I'm told tube diameter matters when it comes to stability. ” I dunno about that either. Wouldn’t the further those tubes are from one another make the craft more stable? Larger tubes are (1) higher to step over and (2) catch more wind.
I have a two man toon. It suits me, but I do trailer it. I also row it upstream from a few put ins and float/ fish back down.
I know I didn’t add much here to help, but that tube diameter thing kinda caught my attention.

Hitch bed extenders are your friend with these 3 man rafts! That's assuming you're not going with a trailer. The hooligan 3 man is 13.5 feet in length for example. The flycraft 3 man is 14 feet. I've seen both of them on the back's of trucks with extenders.

As for tube diameter, you know about as much as me. Yes, I'd wager raft width helps with stability. But total width doesn't necessarily correlate to tube diameter. Most of these pure fishing packages range from 51" to 60" in total width. Most are 56" in total width. 51" is the hooligan 3 man and 60' is the hooligan xl. In between those extremes, though, you have the flycraft stealth x at 56", the flycraft 3 man at 56", the smithfly big shoals at 54", and the saturn triton at 56".

Across all of those options, though, you have some 15" tubes and some 16" tubes and I'm not sure if that matters. Your point about wind drag seems solid to me. I hadn't thought about that even though I know rowing these rafts into a stiff headwind can be miserable.

I love my flycraft stealth. I can assemble/disassemble it myself.
Large enough for big rivers (Big J) but narrow enough for little J and even Spring Creek

FYI. Measured from the tail lights.

§ 4924. Limitations on length of projecting loads.
(a) General rule.--Subject to the provisions of this subchapter limiting the length of vehicles and loads, the load upon any vehicle or the load upon the front vehicle of a combination of vehicles shall not extend more than three feet beyond the foremost part of the vehicle, and the load upon any vehicle operated alone or the load, other than a nondivisible load, upon the rear vehicle of a combination shall not extend more than six feet beyond the rear of the bed or body of such vehicle.
(b) Red flags and lights.--If the load on any vehicle extends more than four feet beyond the rear of the vehicle, a red flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square shall be displayed at the end of the load. During hours of darkness, a red light shall be displayed in the same position in lieu of the flag or cloth.
(c) Compliance with maximum length limitations.--Subsection (a) does not permit loads to exceed the maximum limits set forth in section 4923 (relating to length of vehicles).
(d) Exceptions.--Except for subsection (b), this section does not apply to a motor vehicle specifically designed and being used to:
(1) transport roof trusses; or
(2) transport live trees for transplanting.
(Nov. 23, 1987, P.L.399, No.82, eff. 60 days; May 20, 1993, P.L.30, No.10, eff. 60 days)

I am also looking into a raft. I think I’m starting to settle in on a Saturn 13-6” with an NRS frame.

poopdeck wrote:
FYI. Measured from the tail lights.

§ 4924. Limitations on length of projecting loads.
(a) General rule.--Subject to the provisions of this subchapter limiting the length of vehicles and loads, the load upon any vehicle or the load upon the front vehicle of a combination of vehicles shall not extend more than three feet beyond the foremost part of the vehicle, and the load upon any vehicle operated alone or the load, other than a nondivisible load, upon the rear vehicle of a combination shall not extend more than six feet beyond the rear of the bed or body of such vehicle.
(b) Red flags and lights.--If the load on any vehicle extends more than four feet beyond the rear of the vehicle, a red flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square shall be displayed at the end of the load. During hours of darkness, a red light shall be displayed in the same position in lieu of the flag or cloth.
(c) Compliance with maximum length limitations.--Subsection (a) does not permit loads to exceed the maximum limits set forth in section 4923 (relating to length of vehicles).
(d) Exceptions.--Except for subsection (b), this section does not apply to a motor vehicle specifically designed and being used to:
(1) transport roof trusses; or
(2) transport live trees for transplanting.
(Nov. 23, 1987, P.L.399, No.82, eff. 60 days; May 20, 1993, P.L.30, No.10, eff. 60 days)

Thanks for the info! Good thing I have access to an 8' bed. The excess hang won't be a problem. And I'm also thinking of throwing a rack on the bed of my short bed, which would also render the length a nonissue.

I'll likely ultimately get myself a trailer for the solo trips. But whenever there's another angler or two, I'd rather not have to fuss with the trailer.

nymphingmaniac wrote:
I love my flycraft stealth. I can assemble/disassemble it myself.
Large enough for big rivers (Big J) but narrow enough for little J and even Spring Creek

Glad you like the raft! I'm not surprised. I know quite a few guys who have them and love them. For a long time I've been saying I'm getting a FC. Especially once the stealth x came out.

I just like that the SC throws in a lot more for less money while seemingly preserving quality from what I hear. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either package quite frankly.

The little j would be a fun float minus all the wading traffic! What time of year do you typically float it?

csoult wrote:
I am also looking into a raft. I think I’m starting to settle in on a Saturn 13-6” with an NRS frame.

Definitely a nice raft. The 12'6 is in the front running next to the hooligan 3 man for me. With the 13'6, the width and tube diameter were too big for the purpose I'd like it to serve. If I was hitting gnarlier whitewater, I'd definitely go that route, though.

I thought those big tubes would be a pain to hurdle to get in and out over, which is something I do a lot of during a float. And thanks to the post above, I wonder what sort of issues that bigger profile would give you when going through frog water with a stiff headwind.

IMHO, you will haul a 3 man raft in the bed of your truck for a year and then get a trailer. I could put my one man on the top of the car or assemble on site. Did both... F that. I carry it on a small trailer.

Also...more rocker is for heavier water but it also catches more wind. Flycraft is a pretty flat boat and would be hesitant to run some sections of the Lehigh (depending on flow and rowing experience). You can probably get a scadden McKenzie drifter and a trailer for the price of a hooligan or flycraft. Figure out if you're going to like it and how much you will actually use it before you drop twice the money. After that, you can get a star raft package from NRS and be good for 15 years.

Just my 2 cents

krayfish2 wrote:
IMHO, you will haul a 3 man raft in the bed of your truck for a year and then get a trailer. I could put my one man on the top of the car or assemble on site. Did both... F that. I carry it on a small trailer.

Also...more rocker is for heavier water but it also catches more wind. Flycraft is a pretty flat boat and would be hesitant to run some sections of the Lehigh (depending on flow and rowing experience). You can probably get a scadden McKenzie drifter and a trailer for the price of a hooligan or flycraft. Figure out if you're going to like it and how much you will actually use it before you drop twice the money. After that, you can get a star raft package from NRS and be good for 15 years.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the opinion, Kray. I was hoping you'd chime in. And I don't disagree with the angle you're taking. keep it cheap until I figure out whether or not this is an angle of the sport I even wan to invest in. However, I have an angling kayak now and fish my face off year round, like most of us around here. While I'm new to rafts, I have a good baseline of experience on the water to know it's not something that's going to be a phase.

That said, I want to make a sound investment from the jump. And it sounds like if it were you, you'd go NRS over any of these rafts that are catering to our sport. I can't put my finger on it... but the NRS frame just seems less robust than, say, the stealthcraft frame. I'll have to do some more digging.

As for trailer vs. truck bed, I think in an ideal world I will have a trailer but the raft will also fit in a bed for using the other truck to drive us back up to the put-in.

I have very little experience in rafts. I was 12 years old and too young to appreciate what my grandfather did for me on the Snake River in Wyoming.

I caught a lot of trout but eventually got bored with that at such a young age that all I really wanted to do was enjoy the ride through the rapids.

I have done the upper Gauley River in West Virginia with a very experienced and professional guide.

As a very experienced canoe tripper, I think that regardless of water craft of choice, the most important thing to figure out is the shuttle.

Where do I "Put In" and where do I "Take Out?"

krayfish2 guides professionally so he already has this figured out for his clients.

I need my vehicle at that "Take Out" when I get there.

I have done a lot of different things and hired many amateurs to make this happen in all of my canoe trip adventures in NC, PA, VA, and WV.

Canoetripper wrote:
I have very little experience in rafts. I was 12 years old and too young to appreciate what my grandfather did for me on the Snake River in Wyoming.

I caught a lot of trout but eventually got bored with that at such a young age that all I really wanted to do was enjoy the ride through the rapids.

I have done the upper Gauley River in West Virginia with a very experienced and professional guide.

As a very experienced canoe tripper, I think that regardless of water craft of choice, the most important thing to figure out is the shuttle.

Where do I "Put In" and where do I "Take Out?"

krayfish2 guides professionally so he already has this figured out for his clients.

I need my vehicle at that "Take Out" when I get there.

I have done a lot of different things and hired many amateurs to make this happen in all of my canoe trip adventures in NC, PA, VA, and WV.

I agree with you there. That's partly what's driving my choice toward these narrower rafts. That... and the fact that I have some pretty skinny water I'm hoping to float the raft down. But if you need a trailer to haul the raft that means:

You leave vehicle2 at the take out. You drive the raft on the trailer on vehicle1 to put in. Float to vehicle2. Drive vehicle2 back up to the trailer at the put in and pick up the other angler and raft. Now you have to drive back to the put in to grab vehicle1. That's a lot of maneuvering.

If you can fit the raft in the bed of a truck, it makes things a lot easier.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but with yaks it has always been a lot easier when the vessels fit in both vehicles. Then again, as I type this out, maybe it'll be a major pain in the arse to transfer the boat between bed and trailer while shuffling things around, which would render all the running in the scenario I outlined above better than switching the raft from bed to trailer.

Any input from Kray or anyone would be appreciated on that point.

There's several shuttle services on the Delaware, a couple on the Susky and none on the Lehigh. If anyone reading this is retired, relatively close to the Lehigh and can park a trailer... there's plenty of opportunity to make some decent money shuttling.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the NRS frame. Very modular too. Get a wider boat 5 years down the road, buy longer cross members and you are good to go. I believe the frame is also made out of alloy or aluminum which will give you great strength to weight and long life without rust. The frames are so popular that many manufacturers make accessories that fit it. The hooligan frame might be steel but need to check specs to be sure.

You'll see that dropping in with each guy carrying a few items is superior to carrying raft and then making trips for...oars, net, anchor, tackle bags, cooler, rods and on and on. It should be faster than doing it with a one-man pontoon but trust me, it still sucks.

What I have done over many years when I need a shuttle is search the internet and local bait shops, and the local chamber of commerce. Ask for a retiree who is familiar with where you want to paddle from the "Put in to the Take out."

I have never had a problem finding an "Old Timer" who didn't want to help me out with a shuttle.

I appreciate the information in this thread.

Many of us are thinking about rafts and fishing craft and informed opinions from folks who own or have experience with such boats and gear is much appreciated.

(NOTE: This thread will be moved to Gear forum shortly)

larkmark wrote:
Floating Spring Creek? Why?

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Although I'm very much considering floating spring creek in a sit on top kayak this December with my shotgun and jump shooting some mallards. That should ruffle some fly fishermen's feathers.

I can't imagine wanting to float spring and fish it, though. I used a Fly craft for the first time this year and floated the Little J. It was okay. I think I'd have rather floated in my canoe and just got out and fished the water I wanted to.

Back