Radian, Helios, NRX, Zenith

krayfish2 wrote:
I only took a few casts with the zenith in the back yard. The plastic is still on the cork. It will get run through the ringer in April - June. I think I had a SA expert distance that CathyG had sent me. Never cast that line or that rod. I worked pretty well but I've got Rio Gold, GPX textured, SA Textured trout and Sharkskin to try once the weather warms to my liking.

I don't think it needs overlined at 30'. If you are a guy that likes feeling the rod load more, it could definitely handle Grand, GPX or even on line weight heavier.

My 2 main 5 weights are a z-axis and a legend elite. Both of those seem to have a softer tip than the Hardy but it doesn't seem so harsh that I won't like it. YMMV but I bought mine going off of other anglers I know that had / loved them. For me, the H2 was the only one I've cast that would have me reaching for the checkbook. LOL.

It made me reach for mine. No regrets

Of those rods, I've only cast the Zenith. I prefer slower rods, but it put a smile on my face. Maybe I'll start looking for a used one haha.

SteveG,

They're on clearance all over the place. Check ebay, too.

I've heard nice stuff, but I try to buy American Made stuff when possible, granted Hardy isn't American to begin with.

They were a dome a dozen and I'd seen them as low as $350. Now that stock is depleted, the price seems to have jumped back up to $450 or higher. Kinda like what happened with the Z-Axis when it was discontinued.

I don't know much about Winstons but I did find the BIII SX for $399.

I've used a BIIIX 906 before and it was a cannon. It cast big articulated streamers in very strong wind way better than the moderate action 7wt I was embarrassing myself with.

I'm not a big fan of fast action rods for dry / dry dropper, but I can see a definite casting advantage. I guess its all a tradeoff. In big water, faster action rods are easier to cast long distances accurately, especially if there's wind. The negative is that your tippet isn't protected as well and you'll bust off more fish.

After casting that Winston, I've been looking for a used fast action 907 for streamers. I'll probably get one before spring.

Decided I'll be going with the Hardy Zenith in 9' 5 weight.

Nice. Did Wayne have on or did you go through up country?

Went with UpCountry, they still took a trade in despite the Hardy being on clearance. Couldn't pass that up, only $170 after trading in the GVX

I don't think you should ignore the classic 5 wt. One of my dearest friends ended up being a guide in SW Montana. He uses and recommends a 5 wt. and only a 6 for big nymphs or the biggest hopper/dropper rigs or salmonflies. And the distances are not much you wouldn't experience once in a while here in the east. Really, you catch fish at the same distances here as there.
With all the fly rod model 'churning', there should be a lot of Loomis, Sage, Orvis helios and others 2nd hand. If you come across a Powell LGA, get it. It's a basically extinct company, only really making bass rods and one import fly model. I was fortunate enough to get a 8.5 ft 5 wt LGA in the late 1990's. It is a great fly rod. And the other lenght/weights I cast were all great. Just saying it, but I don't know that you'll find one.

Back