Radian, Helios, NRX, Zenith

F

FlyGuy29

I'm new to the forum so there may have been a topic on this, (a few guys provided input in the swap section) but I'm considering a new rod and wanted to get any input from others. I know you can't go wrong with any of these rods nowadays, but I just wanted to see who has casted any of the above and what they think. I plan on casting all of them before picking, but I want a rod that can fight the wind in Montana, but still perform in PA. Just wanted some reviews for people who have had any experiences with these rods. Also I am leaning towards 9' 5 weight.

I love my 5 wt Zenith, but they have stopped making it. Can still find them online though. Was thinking of adding a 6 weight as well

With these fast action rods a 9'4 or a 10'4 will get the job done and be more enjoyable to fish, or at least I find the 4 weight more enjoyable.

I have the H2 and I love it but it depends if you are trying to spend 800 or 400 dollars. The zenith on closeout is hard to beat...

Have you casted any of the rods you listed yet?

I casted the Radian and Helios once, but not the others. They both felt incredible to be honest. It all comes down to preference, but I figured it would be nice to see what others think who have owned any of these rods for some time. Thanks for the help!

I own a Winston GVX now in 4 weight, it was great on some smaller streams last year in Yellowstone, but was a little light for me on streams like the Madison when there was wind

I'd go with a 9' 6wt.

I cast size 16 and smaller dries on the U del all summer with a 906 (and I also cast much bigger flies in the spring). I don't throw indicators and very rarely throw heavy nymph rigs though.

I see a few guys here saying they fish dries with 10' rods. Is there an advantage, or does that mean you normally throw indicators or heavy nymph rigs but can get away with occasionally fishing dries?

moon1284 wrote:
I'd go with a 9' 6wt.

I cast size 16 and smaller dries on the U del all summer with a 906 (and I also cast much bigger flies in the spring). I don't throw indicators and very rarely throw heavy nymph rigs though.

I see a few guys here saying they fish dries with 10' rods. Is there an advantage, or does that mean you normally throw indicators or heavy nymph rigs but can get away with occasionally fishing dries?

They cast further, easier and keep your line off the water when wading deeper. Also, they help reach across currents to help with your drift.

Allan-

So you prefer a 10 footer when using dry flies or dry dropper?

Moon,
I have a 10' 4 Wt Radian. I fish the Upper delaware alot as well and toss dries no problem, even in the wind. The rod is kickass. I also use nymphrigs, with yarn. I havnt had a problem since. Id look at 10' 5 wt for montana though.

Thanks fisherboy.

I would have thought a 10' rod would be uncomfortable to cast overhead. I only have 10 footers in 7 and 8wts and I roll cast with them 95% of the time because I hate overhead casting with them. I don't really like roll casting with dry flies because I sink them way too fast. I can definitely see the mending/line control advantage though.

I know I will probably get beat up for this as it is an older rod, but whenever I hear wind (or feel it) -- I go immediately to a sage 586 rpl 2 piece 9' 5wt -- I really believe it cuts wind like butter -- I still think the rod is a steal at $200 on ebay, and they sell fast if by-it-now so you have to keep an eye out.

For the most part, everything out there is good, so considering the Sage RPL (or Z-Axis or XP) is a great idea. The [graphite] rod technology breakthroughs are minimal at best right now, it's just refining that's really going on. That and preference.

FlyGuy

I've fished with a Radian and a Helios 2. I've recently purchased and lawn cast the Zenith I got on clearance. All 3 were great. Also great are some of the older models that were mentioned (RPL, RPL+, Z-Axis, XP, Hydros to list a few). Is my Zenith light years ahead of the Z-Axis? Nope. Is the Z-Axis ridiculously superior to my 1994 Sage RPL+? Absolutely not. I hadn't used the RPL+ in a few years and dusted it off last spring and forgot how good of a rod it is / was. I have 9' rods and one 10' rod that is primarily used for nymphing. I have used it for dries and what it provides in additional distance was lost in accuracy.

I'll toss in my 2 cents....... If you are determined to buy a brand new rod, I won't try to talk you out of it. Cast every model you can get your hands on. I believe the blank profile of the Helios 2 and the Zenith are almost identical. The Loomis isn't far off from them either. At the same time, spending $800 on a new Helios or Radian would yeild 2 used rods which just might serve you a little better.

For the cost of one new top tier rod, you could get.....

Sage Z-Axis 9', 5wt AND a Sage RPL or RPL+ 9', 6wt.
Or
New St Croix legend Elite 9', 5wt AND an Orvis Hydros or Sage RPL, RPL+ or XP in 9', 6wt

Just a thought and good luck no matter which direction you decide to go.

Krayfish, I appreciate your advice. I am starting to lean towards the way you are thinking, I've been searching Ebay to see if I can find a deal on a used rod. It also seems that the Zenith which can be had for about $400 now seems like a much better option to save money on things such as a flight.

How did the Zenith perform at say 30 feet? Also, did you over line yours?

Darn, those are great ideas - especially so you can carry a 6 out west (not a bad idea from what I learned in Colorado). I carried only a 5 and had to fight the urge a couple times to venture into town with cash. The wind was definitely an issue for me btw and often I could have sworn that my fly had a surfboard cutting through the water. Also, an on water mend was just about impossible for me with a 5, but thinking about it now I bet I could have forced one with a 6 loaded with 7 line (maybe). Anyway the wind was an issue for sure - I was there in September. Krayfish's ideas are really, really good.

I only took a few casts with the zenith in the back yard. The plastic is still on the cork. It will get run through the ringer in April - June. I think I had a SA expert distance that CathyG had sent me. Never cast that line or that rod. I worked pretty well but I've got Rio Gold, GPX textured, SA Textured trout and Sharkskin to try once the weather warms to my liking.

I don't think it needs overlined at 30'. If you are a guy that likes feeling the rod load more, it could definitely handle Grand, GPX or even on line weight heavier.

My 2 main 5 weights are a z-axis and a legend elite. Both of those seem to have a softer tip than the Hardy but it doesn't seem so harsh that I won't like it. YMMV but I bought mine going off of other anglers I know that had / loved them. For me, the H2 was the only one I've cast that would have me reaching for the checkbook. LOL.

If you don't mind, where did you purchase your Zenith? I know Farmington River Upcounty Sporting had it on sale for $440, I've ran into a couple on Ebay but not many 5 weights on there at the moment.

My buddy also used the Z-Axis and absolutely loves it. He owns a million different rods but I don't think he uses anything but the z-axis lol.

Your buddies favorite is probably my least favorite. LOL. Sending PM.

Thanks, just replied. Appreciate the advice from everyone.

Back