Quill Gordon body

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05

blackandgold4ever05

Just wondering what you guys use for your Quill bodies. I have researched 2 methods. One is to soak the feathers in bleach/water and rinse and store in water. I understand this makes them very fragile and should probably use lacquer over the body. The second way I have heard is to use a pencil eraser. Also, what feathers should I use. Should I use the normal long peacock hurl I'm used to using or I also heard you can use the ones on the eye of the feather. Also wondering what is the difference between a Blue Quill and a Quill Gordon besides size? Can I use this quill for the body on both?

Sorry for the long post, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I use a pencil eraser, and the best herl for these comes from the "eye" on a peacock eyed quill.

yes you can use it for both. Bleaching will also lighten up the quill while an eraser will not. I'll coat them with a hand cream to soften them after they dry then keep my bleached ones in a drawer in a cabinet. near the eye is best but i have used others too.

I just looked in an old pattern book that was givin to me and they say to use blue dun hackle stem wrapped with silver wire (reverse) for the Blue Quill. I might try this for the blue one but skip the silver wire ribbing.

Here is my attempt. The flies do not have wings. I used blue dun hackle stem for the Blue Quill (18) and used an eraser on the peacock feather on the Quill Gordon (14).

2-27-2011014.jpg

2-27-2011015.jpg

lo0ks pretty good shouldnt the qg have a tuft of wood duck as a wing also when fishing the quill gordons im told a QG wet version is absolutly deadly and is a great propecting fly that time of year the thorax looks kind of big on the blue quill but all in all it they both will catch fish id fish it

I would really like to make a QG wetfly. I am still trying to perfect getting the right size bodies and thorax sections. I feel I'm tying a little better everyday. I just started tying a few weeks ago and my fly box is starting to fill up with the flies I've been tying. As for wings, my friend (tying teacher) isn't crazy about putting wings on dry flies. I agree for the most part that they aren't even seen by the fish. If anyone totally disagrees with this, I would love to hear why. I could add wings to my dries and have before but if it isn't needed, I feel I'm wasting time and material. Thanks again for the feedback from everyone.

im not crazy about it either (wings on dries) well small dries anyway but i do it sometimes

I have been using a lot of turkey biot bodies instead of the stripped peacock or stripped quill. I really like the way it looks

I'd like to see the goose biot bodies and maybe a little explanation to how they are tied on to make a body. Thanks

get the "quill body" that is distributed by hareline
http://www.amazon.com/Hareline-Dubbin-Inc-Quill-Body/dp/B001U7CNJ8/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1299022925&sr=8-11

soak it... its super easy to use
a29a3d55.jpg

i also strip peacock with my finger nail that works well

I always coat my quill bodies with Sally hansens before adding hackle

with boits you tie em in point first but you have to determine which side will be sticking up because one side will leave a smooth body and the other side is ribbed and will more of a sectioned appearance

mcleans quill body

Guess what this body is made of ??
First one who gets it right wins a prize !!

Attachments

• 2-28-2011 flood 053.jpg
    2-28-2011 flood 053.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 4

Swannandaze.

sandfly wrote:
Guess what this body is made of ??
First one who gets it right wins a prize !!

Looks like a strip of Twizzlers licorice-strawberry

I use dyed turkey primary biots. On hook size 14 and larger I usually build up a dubbing underbody first. They are not as fragile as peacock quill. The trick to using biots is to tie in the tip of the biot held at a 45 degree angle to the shank, then take one thread turn around the tip and at the same time pull straight up on the biot so it is perpendicular to the hook shank. This eliminates the "hump" of biot on the first turn at the rear of the body.

NO to all so far, come on think

Back