questions about a few streams

marcq

marcq

so the streams that I am asking about are the Pohopoco, the manatawny and the tulpehocken.

since cabin fever has set in and I have basically been going insane with tying to be the only thing that's giving me hope. I am trying to get out Friday as its going to be in the upper 30's. I have yet to fish these streams which I don't know why but that's not the question. are any of them locked up by ice? I know the Po and Tulp are both tail water streams so the should be slightly warmer.

can anyone give me a general location where to park.

thanks marc.

This is a good place to start concerning the Tulpehocken Creek - http://www.flyfishtulpehockencreek.com

I've used the resources on that website to explore the stream and figure out places to park.

Hope it helps!

IMO I would goto a spring creek.

spring as in the one out by penn state? that's about two and a half three hours from me so if not an easy trip to just pull off. all these streams are about an hour so its a little more reasonable. I have been to spring and want to go back cause I saw some big fish but probably when the weather is a little warmer and hatches are up and going.

midgeman wrote:
IMO I would goto a spring creek.

I'm sure Midgeman is referring to any limestone stream (note he wrote, "a spring creek" rather than "Spring Creek" in caps).

Big Spring, Spring Creek, Letort Spring Run etc. are all spring creeks and I agree with Midgeman that they would be the best candidates to provide good fishing during this extremely cold spell.

Now, with respect to the actual three streams you asked about, I'm honestly not familiar enough with what they're like during periods of extreme cold to suggest which one you ought to visit. I would assume that Tulpehocken, being a tailrace, should be ice free, or at least fairly so, and that deep, slow nymphing could produce a fish or two.

The Lehigh valley area also has spring creeks, can't say much more than that as I have never fished there.

The Tully fishes decently in the summer. It gets stocked in the Fall, so there are plenty of trouts in there.

Marc - there was a thread on here recently about fishing the Tully around paper mill road. ( i made a note )

my general advice would be to go deep and small - fish the heads and tails of slow pools, deep runs, undercuts and around structure.

midges, PTN's, scuds, shrimp, serendiptys all work for me on tailwaters - the Tully is a not a bottom release so maybe other bugs will work too.

use weight or beadheads to get them down, but also don't be afraid to bounce a big weighted stonefly down there.

How about the Little Lehigh in the catch and release section off . Not exactly a spring creek but I bet it is ice free and loaded with fish.

South Cedar Crest Boulevard and Fish Hatchery Road is your intersection, if heading north on Cedar Crest, take right on Fish Hatchery Road, cross Lil Lehigh and look for left turn into parking lot near the old fly shop. No wading, nymph tiny stuff.

Whoops. I meant the Tully fishes descently in the WINTER, not the Summer!

Fish the LL all the time in the spring and summer. Im not really worried about catching fish I just want to get on a few new streams. Im thinking about hitting the LL and another stream close by.

LL, cedar, monocasy, saucon, bushkill (Easton)

Mess up that last sentence what I meant was hit the tully and go to another stream.

Dah! You were asking about last week.

geebee wrote:
Marc - there was a thread on here recently about fishing the Tully around paper mill road. ( i made a note )

my general advice would be to go deep and small - fish the heads and tails of slow pools, deep runs, undercuts and around structure.

midges, PTN's, scuds, shrimp, serendiptys all work for me on tailwaters - the Tully is a not a bottom release so maybe other bugs will work too.

use weight or beadheads to get them down, but also don't be afraid to bounce a big weighted stonefly down there.

if the tully isn't a bottom release than what is it?

i believe its 35ft from the top - which is why it gets a little warm in summer.

geebee wrote:
i believe its 35ft from the top - which is why it gets a little warm in summer.

Blue Marsh dam that feeds the Tully is a bottom release dam with a shallow cold water pool that often runs out of cool water in mid summer.

Back