question

flipnfly

flipnfly

has anyone ever thought to combine a hares ear and a phesant tail nymph by putting phesant tail fibers as a shell back bound down with copper wire on top of hares ear dubbing? o tied a few i think they look good

Attachments

• nymph.jpg
    nymph.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 6
Never tried it but sounds like it should work. Try it and see and if it does let the rest of us know about it LOL!

flipnfly wrote:
has anyone ever thought to combine a hares ear and a phesant tail nymph by putting phesant tail fibers as a shell back bound down with copper wire on top of hares ear dubbing? o tied a few i think they look good

That's how I tie most of my nymphs. Just tweak the colors and materials.

Looks good.

heres a better pic

Attachments

• new nymph.jpg
    new nymph.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 5
That would be a fine sulphur imitation.

but could it be used as a different nymph or is it too specific to fish just anytime?

PS
i love my camera....

Yeah. They're just fish. It looks like food, so they'll eat it.

But I would be especially confident when they are eating sulphur and MB nymphs.

Looks pretty good fly.

One example of the idea--substitute dubbing for the turkey tail body:

would pass for an olive if they were hatching too in the right size , they will work anytime , caddis , sulfur , bwo , march brown , etc , looks good flip

flip...........That fly looks good , it will work and like JayL says just change around and "tweak" the colors and that style is a good one.................NICE!!!

A contrast of a shellback will work on any fly. Fish like contrast and the shellback is more realistic to the natural.

right on the money MKern , that shellback combined with the ribbing and dubbing creates that segmented buggy look and the dubbing looks like the row of gills that run down the sides of the naturals , even better if the dubbing "breathes a little" those little things that make our flies look natural to the fish. I read an article once that talked about the fish needing a certain amount of things to look right in order to take , it was like three things match up and it's a hit , was like color , size , movement or something like that.

osprey wrote:
it was like three things match up and it's a hit , was like color , size , movement or something like that.

Colour. Size. Presentation (of said lure).

The order is...
size, outline, color.

Presentation trumps all.

Flip, That is a nice fly!! I like to try different materials and curved hooks for my nymphs too.

DGC, I like that 4 bird soft hackle. Now I will have something to tie while I wait for the turkey tomorrow. Thanks

Tried every combination of phesant tail, hares ear, gold/copper wire and peacock. Can't go wrong with any of them... they all work. Nice fly.

the dubbing should breathe when picked out its id say about 3 parts synthetic lifecycle tan to 2 parts bunny face with under fur then to mix i just combined it all and hand mixed it pulling and pulling came out good so to tweak the colors any suggestions? like olive... or more tan i want a fly that looks a little like alot of nymphs i know the shape represents crawling and clinging nymphs the colors of these nymphs is what im after.... are they more brownish reddish? anyone

Hey fly maybe you could tie it on a scud hook give it more of a bend look.

HK-051770-0000.jpg

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/HK-051770-0000/

Back