Question what are the pros and cons of Furled leaders

What happens with a leader that is sinking in spots is you have a difference in surface tension as you pick-up between the sections that are floating and those that are not. As you pull and lift up, the sunk sections have a tendency to pull the tippet section under the water, especially if the sections behind them are a few inches below the surface.

When you pick-up your line if you hear a “bloop” sound (which the fish also hear) as your fly breaks the surface…that is why.

It is an even bigger problem if you fish a dry fly in fast choppy water. The broken surface has a natural tendency to pull sections of your leader and even your fly line under water making the lift for the next cast a fly soaking affair. That problem is exacerbated if you use a plain, knotted leader that hasn’t been straightened because the memory coils in the mono naturally break the surface. A shorter STRAIGHTER leader and greasing it and the end of your fly line all but eliminates the problem.

Before I stared using short thread furled leaders to fish dries on smaller streams where broken water abounds, I used the “hollow butt” leaders that Orvis once sold. Having the butt section on top made the pick-up less problematic and they floated better than the greased plain, knotted leaders I was using before.

Now I use greased thread furled leaders or silk blend leaders exclusively when fishing on top and I dry them off with a piece of chamois and re-grease them when needed so I get the easy pick-up I desire. To be honest, I prefer my entire leader to float when dry fly fishing except my tippet. Although if I am fishing choppy water, I will grease right down to the fly and it doesn’t seem to make a difference to the fish.

Speaking of fly lines, in my experience if I am having an issue where the end of my fly line is sinking, 99% of the time, it is because the butt of my leader is sinking and in effect, pulling it under. When this happens, I will either dry off my leader with the chamois & re-grease it, or put on a bone-dry one and re-grease that. It solves the problem every time, even when I am using a real silk fly line.

Finally, while lifting your line up and off the water straight up with a longer rod always improves the pick-up, fishing a long rod or lifting straight up is not always possible or practical depending on where you are fishing. Where I fish the most, 90% of the time I am fishing a rod shorter than 9 feet so every little bit of help from my leader is welcome.

Bamboozle wrote;

Finally, while lifting your line up and off the water straight up with a longer rod always improves the pick-up, fishing a long rod or lifting straight up is not always possible or practical depending on where you are fishing.

I rarely fish waters less than 60' wide. As long as I am able to get into the water at least 20' I can cast overhead and and don't have any issues with line going behind me into the bank side vegetation. I can also angle my body to move my backcast away from being perpendicular with the bank gaining me more room to cast and throw line behind me.

Wow thank you all for the response, lots of good feedback.
I think I will pull the trigger and order one and see how it works for me.
Again thank you all for the feedback.

Jay

If they get caught in a tree, they are toast. The entire issue comes into play when fishing small streams. They aren't so bad on big streams, but I prefer Orvis braided leaders.

Chaz wrote:
If they get caught in a tree, they are toast. The entire issue comes into play when fishing small streams. They aren't so bad on big streams, but I prefer Orvis braided leaders.
Toast as in what, broken, twisted up...?

If you mean twisted up, your issues may be related to mono furled leaders. I use 3 foot THREAD furled leaders on the tiniest streams and a snag is no more of an issue than it is with any other leader I've tried.

I tried one. I didn't see any advantage. some guys swear by them. It got messed up quick and I threw it out. I'm so happy with hand tied leaders why change. I like to keep it simple. The only time I go to a store bought knotless tapered is when there is algae in the water. And they work great too. Tippet rings are another thing people love. I get it but just don't need one more item to worry about. Less is more.

I have been using thread furled leaders for a long time (years).

One simple trick I found a while back was greasing them with green mucillen then hitting them with a hair dryer to really allow it to soak into the thread fibers.

It maintains its floatability for a longer time than merely greasing on the stream. I still grease on the stream as needed but the heat treatment makes this less often.

Tippet rings are the bomb!

I use the same technique when applying "waterproofing" to leather. It really soaks in!!

BTW - Have you ever tried Otter Butter on your leaders?

I am amazed how it works on the silk fly lines I use. It definitely floats longer than red Mucilin and any silicone based stuff I used on leaders in the past.

Alright then I'll try a tippet ring again since they are the bomb! Now I just have to look through my messy vest for the darn things. I will admit they save leaders. Carrying waterproofing and other stuff sounds like a pain with those furled leaders. Mucilin and all that stuff melts in your vest too. So other than "turnover" I don't see the advantage? No wonder I see guys playing with their equipment standing around the parking lots for hours. Of course I am so lazy I don't even like to change flies.

Back