Question on muskies.

S

somersetian

A lake 10 minutes from my house stocks musky every year, and I want to catch one on a fly. Besides getting some big musky streamers and toothy leaders what do I need to do to catch one? The lake has been drained a good bit so there is literally 100 ft of casting space all around the lake, or do I need a boat to get into deeper water. I guess my main question is if I do go out there and cast(a million times) from the shore is there a chance I catch one? Do they hangout or feed in shallow water?

It's gonna be something your gonna have to work at. To do it seriously and have a shot at 1 your gonna have to commit. Your have to bone up on your casting. A 10wt with a ful sinker andabig fly works on ya phiscally. There a different critter than a 9 ft 5wt.

As far as behavior muskies get more active at the sunset/moonrise & as well as moonset and sunrise. Put your time in casting and learn your water. It will happen. There is no quick fix to catching 1. Hiring a guide that specializes in musky on the fly will get your a leg up on the proper approach and technique required to pull it off

It might take yrs or the next cast that's the beauty of it. Good luck and happy hunting!

somersetian,

Yep, there is definitely a chance to get some Musky action from lake shore. My first couple of run ins with these beasts were doing that exact thing. I didn't land the fish, but that was because I didn't realize how long it was gonna take me to get away from the "trout" hookset and learn the strip strike. LOL

PACO gave you a good rundown on info. You can find fish shallow at almost any time of year (depending on water) and just getting out there will start to get you used to throwing some of the bigger flies.

Just make sure you bring along some decent release tools. Sometimes, the most eventful part of landing a Musky is when it is right at your feet and decides to go crazy. Hooks and teeth can be flying everywhere. LOL

Good luck and have fun!!

Jay

somersetian wrote:
what do I need to do to catch one?

Put in a lot of time (unless you're lucky) and focus on fishing in the spring months (Don't wait till mid June to start) - now is the time. Muskies in lakes tend to be deep or suspended off mid lake structure or outer edges of weedbeds during summer months. These fish are very tough to target with a fly or even conventional gear without a boat. During spring months, however, they tend to be in shallower water closer to shore and you have a good shot with a fly rod of moving a fish or two, esp in a situation like you describe where there is plenty of room to back cast.
During the summer, however, I prefer to fish rivers for muskies.

Again, the most important thing is persistence. Learn to embrace the skunk.

Good advice from the others, and yes you'll do a lot of casting for sure.

But you can also use the drawdown to your advantage. It opens up casting room from shore that you wouldn't have otherwise. You can also make notes of shoreline structure, drop offs, creek channels, and anything else you wouldn't typically be able to see. Lake fish tend to move deeper in the summertime, but keep your eyes peeled as you'll spot one shallow every now and then.

Also, you'll be fine with a floater or an int line for shore fishing. The lakes I fish are shallow and weedy so sink lines wind up dragging through the garbage. Good luck to ya.

I do realize it will take a lot of time, the good thing is this lake is 10 minutes from my house and I already take the dog there almost every night and usually do some bass fishing while I'm there. I have seen pictures of some Muskies people have pulled out of there, and I figured if I'm there fishing there a lot anyway maybe I should try to target a different species than one I've caught a thousand times. I have an 8 weight with floating line, is a 10wt absolutely necessary? Thanks for all the help.

10wt is the best option. With an 8wt you'll have a hard time throwing these big streamers.

Also unless your tying weighted flies it'll be hard to get them down at all with a floating line.

I see that kind of hinders my ambitions a Bit. I could afford some sink tip line for my 8 wt, but I don't know about a new outfit right now.

You'll be fine w/ the floater and the 8wt...it's what I use for a lot of my shoreline fishing (I also have a 10wt with a couple spools). Stick to single flies and work on your casting. Odds are you'll find a couple big bass too.

If you stick with it, save up and consider new gear down the road. No need to invest in a new outfit just yet.

Don't be hindered!

I've caught a 40+ on a Clearwater 8wt. And I was severly under gunned for that class of fish. She bulldog me to the bottom and if it wasn't for td55 jumping in on her when I got her close I probably wouldn't have landed her.
To quote a friend "fishing for musky with a 8wt is like framing a house with a tack hammer. It can be done but there's more efficient way of doing it."

I'll second what what jay348 mentioned. I started a few years back on 8's and 9's. Once you figure out if the addiction gets a hold of you or not, then start lookin for some upgrades.

Also, you should be able to get action on flies anywhere from 4-8" so they don't need to be the huge wind resistant flies right off the bat.

Yep, these fish taught me a few lessons on the 8 and 9wts, but they've also taught me a few with 10wts. Thats Musky for ya. LOL

fished nockamixon 1st couple years they stocked in the 70's all summer from shore. caught a lot of musky back then. did look for weed beds(flooded fields) in the hay **** section of the lake most days.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to order some flies and leaders next paycheck and give it a go. Worst case scenario I improve my casting abilities, best case I catch a fish. Win win.

Back