Question of Legality

Next question then, when I turn 65 I intend to purchase a lifetime license, does that legality still apply if I move after I turn 65?

Foxgap239 wrote:
Next question then, when I turn 65 I intend to purchase a lifetime license, does that legality still apply if I move after I turn 65?

That seem clear enough to me.

"All issued resident fishing licenses will remain valid for the year or years for which they are issued, regardless of whether the license holder is no longer a bona fide Pennsylvania resident."

Based on the above, the answer is yes.

One thing worth noting is the handbook is only a guide, it is not law. So if one wants to be 99.9% sure, you would need to look a the actual laws (never 100%).

If you trust the booklet (I would on this), it might also be a good idea to have that booklet handy in the event you get checked by a WCO. Not only does one need to have a license, but also a valid ID to prove the license was issued to you. If you show a WCO a resident fishing license, and an out of state DL, there could still be an issue. I have my doubts if many WCOs know the rules on something this obscure so having the handbook handly would help.

What isn't clear is, if I buy a non-res multi year fishing license, then move back to PA and become a bona fide PA res, will I need to also bye a resident license.

I'm thinking not, but the rulebook doesn't cover that.

Besides, I have only been checked a few times, and only once or maybe twice did they request to see ID. Only once did I have to remove the license from the holder.

This adds a dimension to the “anglers must be prepared to furnish positive proof of identification” requirement.

Here’s a scenario that I’m sure could happen:

You buy a 5 year/10 year or Lifetime Resident license, you move before you die or the 5 or 10-year license is up and you get asked to see your license. The WCO then asks to see your ID and notices that you now live in Nebraska.

The PA license DOES have an issuance date on it but how does the WCO know when you established residency in Kansas?

So…

Does he cite you for falsely acquiring a resident license when you weren’t a resident to avoid the higher license cost (trust me, the online ID verification is less than positive) or does he believe your story that you moved after the fact?

While I don’t believe it is a requirement, you DO have the ability to update your “personal information only” for your fishing license online and I assume, even print out an new copy, (I’m not sure about the printing thing). Even if you can’t print another copy, you have duly notified the PFBC that you moved.

Contemptuous comments aside, it is better to be honest and avoid any potential hassles.

Barring that, I’d be fishing with a copy of the part of the Summary that reads:

"All issued resident fishing licenses will remain valid for the year or years for which they are issued, regardless of whether the license holder is no longer a bona fide Pennsylvania resident"…

…along with a copy of my gas bill. ;-)

Bamboozle wrote:

Barring that, I’d be fishing with a copy of the part of the Summary that reads:

"All issued resident fishing licenses will remain valid for the year or years for which they are issued, regardless of whether the license holder is no longer a bona fide Pennsylvania resident"…

There's the answer! Nice!

I purchased a NY lifetime sportmans hunting license when I lived in NY. I was 30 years old when I did it. Since then, I have moved back to PA. When I talked to NY DEC they said they will honor my lifetime NY hunting and fishing license. I would assume PA would do the same for a yearly license, since you were a resident of the state when you purchased it.

I agree. Just fish. Don't sweat the small stuff. If you got checked and if they got you in trouble then that LAW Enforcement officer is a jerk. But if it's displayed they won't even bother. But I RARELY run into PFBC enforcement .

Well thanks for all the help, boy-os. I can't tell you all how excited I am to get back home. Seems like the conditions are going to be pretty darn good this coming week.

TL:DR

but,you still own camp in PA,so,that is residency.

shakey wrote:
TL:DR

but,you still own camp in PA,so,that is residency.

There was a time when one could probably get away with that, but not anymore.

So there will be a "barely legal" Squatch roaming the woods of NC PA this weekend...Great!

salmonoid and I were up for a quickie one night backpacker in that area this past weekend. Caught a Tstorm the first evening at about supper time that briefly added a tint or two of color to the water, and we got an hour or so of really good fishing before it got dark.

All things considered, the stream we were on fished halfway decent the next day, but flows were low. The fish were stacked in the pools and very spooky. If you didn't spook them though, they were aggressive...You either spooked a fish in the tail on approach and wrecked the pool, or had a hit/caught a fish on the first cast, and in doing so, wrecked the pool.

Today's rain should be a slower, steady soaker, though it's not that impressive looking on radar yet. Hope it pans out though...Should help things for this coming week. Let us know how you make out.

Swattie87 wrote:
So there will be a "barely legal" Squatch roaming the woods of NC PA this weekend...Great!

salmonoid and I were up for a quickie one night backpacker in that area this past weekend ...

Wait...

Did you really mean to talk about a quickie and a barely legal sasquatch in the same message?

Get your mind out of the side channel FD!

Swattie87 wrote:
Get your mind out of the side channel FD!

What?

I didn't even comment about two guys out for a quickie and the word backpacker all in the same sentence. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

FarmerDave wrote:
Not that there is anything wrong with that.

We’re not spincasters if that’s what you’re implying.

Legal, Who cares, you sat by and watched the downfall of the fish commission, you do not want to give more license money, you do not give support, YOU DO NOT USE YOUR HEAD! Yeah you say with a whisper, you care. All you care about is in the "Now". Your need and your greed!

It's true, and you know it. Well. it is simple, get rid of me and you get rid of you! I fight, I may loose , but I fight again! Pa. beautiful Pa. If you want it easy, "Go west". Take your little adventures west. I take my adventure here, the adventure will outlive my life!

Boy, I am mad! Who wants to throw the first punch, I have had enough of a, aa, aaa, aaaa, class water! How about Water! The scope is clear but being looked through by 10 eyes. Water, clean water and the rest will fall in place!. Wild trout, I prefer to eat them!

Maxima12

maxima12 wrote:
Legal, Who cares, you sat by and watched the downfall of the fish commission, you do not want to give more license money, you do not give support, YOU DO NOT USE YOUR HEAD! Yeah you say with a whisper, you care. All you care about is in the "Now". Your need and your greed!

It's true, and you know it. Well. it is simple, get rid of me and you get rid of you! I fight, I may loose , but I fight again! Pa. beautiful Pa. If you want it easy, "Go west". Take your little adventures west. I take my adventure here, the adventure will outlive my life!

Boy, I am mad! Who wants to throw the first punch, I have had enough of a, aa, aaa, aaaa, class water! How about Water! The scope is clear but being looked through by 10 eyes. Water, clean water and the rest will fall in place!. Wild trout, I prefer to eat them!

Maxima12

You talkin to me?

You talkin to ME??!!

Edit: Deleted my own post. Decided it wasn't worth it.

I see the attempted hijacking of the thread...it's predictable at this point.

Either way,
great week up there. Got there last Monday, hit Lyman around 3pm during the rain, and nailed a BIG brown about a mile up from the lake. I'm talking an EASY 20".

We hit our normal stomping grounds (no Kettle, though...they just stocked it and truck chasers were everywhere). My daughter (we just got her her first waders) landed her first 3 natives on a dry fly, so that was great!

Fishing got progressively "worse" throughout the week as the water levels dropped back down. By the time we got to Cross Fork on Saturday evening, the browns were turned off for the most part. It was all brookies, which wasn't surprising given how low and clear it was. But it was so good to be back in the 'hood.

I will say, Flatlanders were EVERYWHERE from God-forsaken lands such as NJ and NY. It was "peak leaf" season, which I'm guessing brought the yuppies to the mountains.

Back