Question about Simms Freestone waders.

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

Do Simms Freestone waders have an elastic draw string at the top of the waders?

I can verify the G3s do not. Its my only complaint about them so far.

No they do not, mine just have a belt at the waist, which is nice, though.

I called simms and asked. They confirmed that the waders have "not had a draw string at the top in A LONG TIME". She gave me the impression that a drawstring is not a desirable feature. So I bought a pair of reddingtons instead. I like to keep my waders tight especially in winter. When taking a spill in the water, your wading belt will help keep some water out but if the top is wide open it acts like a bowl when you stand up. All that water will eventually run down past your wading belt to your feet. The trick would be to empty it before you stand up. However, nobody is going to think about undoing their suspenders and rolling the top down when they fall in cold water...you stand up as soon as you can!

In cold weather, I'll keep my wading belt pretty snug. The ensuing panic of falling in cold water ensures a pretty tight seal. Haven't had much get into the legs when I've taken a spill. Simply bend forward at waist and let the water dump out. If think it's fairly difficult to find draw string tops nowadays

My 2 year old Orvis Encounters have a drawstring.

Back