Question about 10 Mile Row/Crew Member

D

DavidFin

How hard would it be to row 10 miles across a lake with a kayak for someone who is in good physical shape and works out regularly? Couldn't be that bad, right?

Anyone think they may want to drive North in pursuit of a river that may or may not exist? Maybe in May.

DavidFin wrote:

Anyone think they may want to drive North in pursuit of a river that may or may not exist? Maybe in May.

Fishing rivers that don't exist is always fun.

Let me rephrase: it exists, but the legend of 20" brook trout in it may or may not be true.

I'll do you one better, I'll tell you the origin of this idea.

Over 5 years ago I was lucky enough to be staying in the Lakes Of The Clouds Hut below Mt Washington in the White Mountains. Before breakfast I was drinking a cup of coffee outside on the porch, taking in the view of the clouds settled into the towns below. Just me and this older fellow. We start chatting, turns out he's an old Scout Master. We get on the subject of fly fishing and he tells me how he used to lead groups by canoe across a lake to a river that held brook trout so fat that a 15"er was considered small. It gets even better, his only direction is to walk upstream 200-300 yards until you reach a giant waterfall where a pool out of your wildest brook trout dreams was.

Gotta go, right?

DavidFin wrote:
I'll do you one better, I'll tell you the origin of this idea.

Over 5 years ago I was lucky enough to be staying in the Lakes Of The Clouds Hut below Mt Washington in the White Mountains. Before breakfast I was drinking a cup of coffee outside on the porch, taking in the view of the clouds settled into the towns below. Just me and this older fellow. We start chatting, turns out he's an old Scout Master. We get on the subject of fly fishing and he tells me how he used to lead groups by canoe across a lake to a river that held brook trout so fat that a 15"er was considered small. It gets even better, his only direction is to walk upstream 200-300 yards until you reach a giant waterfall where a pool out of your wildest brook trout dreams was.

Gotta go, right?

Right. Go for it.

It will be an excellent adventure.

Hopefully not a bogus journey.

As for the paddling it depends a lot on wind that day. As for the Brook Trout it sounds like a sacred and mythical place like Camelot and Unicorns. It is worthing exploring because it'd be fun though.

What state is supposed Brook Trout paradise in? New Hampshire like where you were? Maine?

You do know fishermen are notorious lyers and tend to stretch the truth. Yes?

If this secret paradise has made it to PAFF, then it ain't too much of a secret. It would be a worthwhile adventure even if it was full of gemmies.

DavidFin wrote:
Hopefully not a bogus journey.

Catching a big brook trout there would be nice. But it would just be icing on the cake.

"It's not the destination, it's the journey."

Scoutmaster eh? Were you not a Boy Scout told to go look for a left handed smoke shifter?

Dave_W wrote:
This thread was posted on April 1st.

Always crushing people dreams Dave! :p

I like the idea of a Brookie-vana. Though it would be one heck of an adventure. You could even write a book about it and become FF Legend. :)

This might be one of those times where Google Earth can help you out...if you know the name of the lake, you can look for the waterfall on the satellite imagery.

I vote do it

I did that up in Canada about 25 years ago took about 1/2 aday. 3 portages up to different lakes.

The story is real, the information checks out on google earth, granted I cant see the waterfall

I spend a lot of time up in the whites skiing and ice climbing. My home away from home in the winter is normally the Harvard Cabin under Huntington Ravine.

Haven't done much fishing up that way, as I am mostly up in the winter. But Im def game for an adventure. Have access to a yak, but its not really a light one. Obviously have all the rest of the gear needed.

Whatcha thinking?

Back