Ques on & Uses for Whiting's Bugger Packs

RCFetter

RCFetter

When I started tying in March I bought two of Whiting's bugger packs. I forget the color names but they are blk/wht and olive/yellow. The length of these hackles ranges from 1" to 6".

Other than Wooly Buggers, are there other patterns these are used for?

Today I bought some micro chenille. Does anyone tie and have success with wooly buggers on nymph hooks and if so, what sizes?

I have hackles stored in the "slider"
zip lock bags. Should I get moth balls or do something else to protect against insects?

RCFetter wrote:
When I started tying in March I bought two of Whiting's bugger packs. I forget the color names but they are blk/wht and olive/yellow. The length of these hackles ranges from 1" to 6".

Some streamer patterns use saddle feathers as well as poppers

Today I bought some micro chenille. Does anyone tie and have success with wooly buggers on nymph hooks and if so, what sizes?
I tie small buggers for trout and panish.

Try using size 6-10 nymph hooks for buggers

I have hackles stored in the "slider"
zip lock bags. Should I get moth balls or do something else to protect against insects?

No not usually. I mostly keep marterials separated in their own zip-lock bag. You may want to keep newly bought materials separate from other materials (quarnatine).

RCFetter wrote:

[color=CC0000]streamer wing, tailing, throat hackle etc[/color]

[color=CC0000]8-10-12. don't forget about tying good old wooly worms[/color]

I have hackles stored in the "slider" zip lock bags. Should I get moth balls or do something else to protect against insects?

[color=CC0000]if stored properly in the original packaging you shouldn't need to put anything in the bag unless you want your materials to smell like moth balls! I have feathers that are 30+ years old and have never moth balls (the smell makes me sick)[/color]

be creative. expeiment

I use the longer, thinner hackles out of a bugger pack on streamers. I rarely use the pack for tying buggers come to think of it...

I've been disappointed in the bugger packs that i purchased. They seem to be just the larger feathers off the top of a cape. In fact, one of the two that i have has a lot of hackles that could be used for #12-8 dry flies. With that said, I have a hard time finding uses for the leftover large feathers on my dry fly capes so the bugger backs are pretty much the same deal.

I still prefer the strung hackles or cheap saddles for my buggers, but then i still have to hunt around for feathers with proper length and barb length and softness. I had some luck with older Metz saddles but their dry fly quality keeps getting better so they are less and less useful for buggers.

Sigh.

Kev

Back