Pymatuning Lake Survey (Hey muskie guys!)

F

Fishidiot

Here's the latest PFBC trapnet survey for Pymatuning. No surprise, it's loaded with muskies (and other fish):

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/reports/2010bio/1x08_20pyma.htm

Back in the 70s, Pymatuning was considered one of the top handful of muskie lakes nationally - however, within a decade or so, red spot disease had wrecked the musky population. In recent years, the lake has made a nice comeback.

Dave do you know how the trap net system works with these surveys ?

I've never been present to watch biologists deploy these nets so can't explain exactly how it's done or how big they are. I think on the PFBC site there's a demonstration at a state park of this process if you search for it.
Basically, these trap nets are used in lakes in the springtime to catch WW fish that lay up in predictable bays during certain times of the year. The nets allow the fish to swim in without being able to find their way out. The nets don't "gill" the fish or tangle them. The intent is to corral the fish unharmed so they can be examined then released alive. These survey nets have been around a long time. Places like Pymatuning provide the brood stock for the state muskie program so big fish that are netted in spring can be "stripped" of eggs. Once this is done, the muskies are released back into the lake and the eggs are hatched at the hatchery.

Very interesting FishIdiot. I've gone up there with the family for a day out, but have never fished it. I'll have to bring the rod next time and make a few casts. I've always wanted to catch some carp, but it just seems unfair in any area by the spillway. But there seems to be many other fish in the area to target also. Thanks for the link!

Back