Proper techniques for hooking & landing fish with fly rod

A

a23fish

Although I have made first casts (technically speaking anyway) with my first fly rod, I have yet to encounter a fish with it. So my questions are very basic.

1. How do you set the hook with a fly rod? I know how to do it with a spinning or baitcasting rod, but that's a different technique entirely. Do I keep the fly line between my casting hand forefinger and the rod handle at all times so I am ready to clamp it down when I think I have a bite? Do I do that first, then raise or sweep the rod to one side or the other? Both at the same time?

2. Once the hook is set, do I continue to pull in line by hand with my non-casting hand, or use the reel to take up the retrieved line?

3. Once the fish gets fairly close, do I raise the rod tip to bring it within range of the net, i.e., pretty much straight up? Or sweep it behind me or off to one side so the fish gets into range?

4. Do you net the fish with your non-casting hand or switch hands and use your dominant hand for netting? I did buy one of those clear rubber nets rather than those old style knotted strand or mesh nets. I learned that lesson long ago when I had to net bass or walleyes and those knotted nets are a disaster when encountering any lure with treble hooks.

That's it for now. I know these are very simple questions, but I'd rather know what I should do before I actually have to do it. I don't want to hook up with my first fly rod fish and say to myself "Now what?"

1. I do both. I get the slack out of my line, then use the rod tip to set the hook. Trout don't need a hard hook set, normally just a raise of the tip.

2. This is preference. Some guys hand line, some guys reel. I prefer to reel the majority of my trout mainly so I don't get tangled in line.

3. I tend to raise the rod tip to bring the fish in close. There are always going to be exceptions, like overhanging brush, where you can't do that.

4. When fighting a fish I use my dominant hand to hold the rod, and my non dominant to reel, like a spinning rod. Some people still reel with their dominant hand, and I just don't like that. So I always net my fish with my reeling hand, so my dominant hand is still on the rod to control the fish.

Non of these answers are set, and I very well may break everyone of them next time I fish. But this is what I generally try to do.

kobalt335 wrote:
Non of these answers are set, and I very well may break everyone of them next time I fish.

That's an understatement. It very situation dependent for all all of those.

1) If you're fishing in moving water, setting the hook will be different depending on whether you're fishing upstream, or down, or across, and the size of the fly you're fishing. If you're fishing a streamer across the stream, you might want to do a stip set, that is pullling on the line to set the hook -- hard. If you're fishing a tiny fly downstream, if you even try to set the hook, you could pull it out of the fish's mouth, so you wait and then gently lift the rod tip, maybe releasing some line in the process. If you're fishing upstream, a downstream sweep is often the best way to set the hook -- you're pulling the fly into the fish's mouth. You'll figure all this out with experience; one size doesn't fit all.

2) My feeling about playing a fish by stripping or off the reel is that if the fish needs to be put on the reel, it will put itself on it. If it's small fish, heading towards you, you may not really have any choice but to strip the line in with your hand. A big fish headed away from you will be on the reel whether you it to be or not. In between, it's up to you. I prefer to hand strip, unless the fish decides otherwise.

3) As far as landing a fish, with a small fish it doesn't really matter. With a larger fish, if you hold the rod straight up, you're putting all the stress on the tip of the rod. That's good for your tippet, not so so good for the rod sometimes. (Disclaimer -- I fish split cane rods a lot and don't want to out a set in the tip. It may not matter so much with a graphite rod.) The more parallel to water the your rod is, the more the butt comes into play, and the easier it is to move the fish.
Regardless of the material of the rod, don't grab your rod above the grip on a larger fish unless you want to break it. I don't use a net on small fish, I just grab the leader. On larger fish, I use the net with whichever hand isn't holding the rod at the moment. If the fish is on the reel, that means the net is in the right hand, since my reels are set up for right hand retrieve. If the fish isn't on the reel, I may use either hand, because I can cast and play a fish with either hand.

I hope that's not too confusing. By and large, none of the this is rocket science; do what comes naturally.

I am more of a visual person. These two video's helped me quite a bit. They are geared a bit towards tight line nymphing but the principles are generally the same regardless of method.

Thanks folks, this has been helpful. I'm slowly making progress. Very slowly. I had three fish hit the hook yesterday, caught none. All of them got loose almost immediately. I had four hit my fly today, two got loose right away, the other two I had for about 1-1.5 seconds. I was on the edge of excited those two times.

So 0 for 7 so far. I'm lifting the rod tip gently, but I'm sure my technique will improve with more takes and more time. On the plus side, I didn't lose any flies today after losing two yesterday.

I appreciate the videos too. Looks so easy....

Thanks folks, this has been helpful. I'm slowly making progress. Very slowly. I had three fish hit the hook yesterday, caught none. All of them got loose almost immediately. I had four hit my fly today, two got loose right away, the other two I had for about 1-1.5 seconds. I was on the edge of excited those two times.

So 0 for 7 so far. I'm lifting the rod tip gently, but I'm sure my technique will improve with more takes and more time. On the plus side, I didn't lose any flies today after losing two yesterday.

I appreciate the videos too. Looks so easy....

Don’t overthink it, getting a fish to take your fly is over half of the battle. Seems like you are achieving that - good job. The hook ups will come and fish will eventually come to the net. After you get a few under your belt your confidence will increase. Have fun with it ... tight lines!

dc410 wrote:
Don’t overthink it, getting a fish to take your fly is over half of the battle. Seems like you are achieving that - good job. The hook ups will come and fish will eventually come to the net. After you get a few under your belt your confidence will increase. Have fun with it ... tight lines!

Agree, "don't overthink it."

Probably the most important thing to work on is slack control.

So minimize the amount of slack in your line, pay close attention to what's happening, and just tighten up when you detect a strike.

Good luck.

Well, today was my third day out, and I've upped my success rate to 2 in 12. I did actually manage to hook and get 2 rainbows to the shore. And I also missed three other hooksets. Slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

Now I freely admit, I was distracted during those misses. The first serious miss was right after I caught my first fish. I was watching a big trout swimming toward me when I should have been watching my line. I was puzzled when I saw the trout do an abrupt 180 and half roll, wondering why it did that. About that time I also noticed my line tightening and moving in the wrong direction. Perhaps I should set the hook? And by the time I did, or tried to, that big trout was snickering away in the opposite direction.

You'd think I'd learn. Nope. After switching from the black stonefly to a black Wooly Bugger, the only color of anything I threw that seemed to get their attention, I caught my second fish, about 4 feet in front of me. That one I could watch while it pondered whether to eat that thing, it finally did, and I did a raise the rod tip hookset. I must have this thing figured out now. Nope.

I missed the next big rainbow too. I was so mesmerized by watching it swim toward the fly, take it, show its colors, and turn back to its hideout, that I was just standing there watching instead of doing anything. Like setting the hook.

As a complement to the advice about not overthinking it, I need to remember to react, not succumb to being fascinated by trout behavior. It is easy to do, especially in these clear creeks. I didn't usually see the bass I caught, nor the trout I caught using spinning gear. This is a whole different ball game.

Few more questions. Are you using a strike indicator? When I was learning I used and indicator and tried to keep a little slack between myself and the indicator through out the drift. The indicator really helped me with strike detection. From time to time I still use the indicator as it is the correct method for the conditions.

Additionally, are you sure each strike is actually a fish? I know I set the hook on rocks all too often thinking its a fish.

As was said above done over think it. You're getting into fish and having them eat your fly which can be difficult this time of the year. Don't worry too much about missing fish or losing them. I usually have a few come unbuttoned in route to the net. I call that a long distance release.

I was not using a strike indicator. I do have a short length of more visible line tied in between the leader and tippet to gauge depth when tight lining. I have much to learn.

Your mileage may vary, but it sounds like your situation has been sight fishing. In those situations, such as dry flies or just seeing them take, its entirely possible to strike too soon! You want the fish to make its turn. The old time snobby Brits who used all dries say that after the take, say a quick "God save the queen" before lufting the rod.

Or you may have too much slack.

Line control and the timing will come, don't despair over a few missed fish! Even those of us who have been doing it for years miss our share. Streamers and buggers tend to result in a lot of misses as well. "Short strikes", and they're either there or they aren't.

One tip as you get better. Don't think too much yet. But if you get in the habit its good Strike to the rear of the fish. It's tricky in still water or actively working streamers. But in current when dead drifting nymphs or dries, get in the habit of lifting the rod downstream. Fish face upstream. Pulling fly towards their backs helps the hook find its home, rather than pulling it out of their mouths from the front. I taught myself that by just doing it at the end of every cast, fish or no fish, and then lifting that way is 2nd nature. When a fish hits thats your first reaction.

pcray1231 - Thanks for the tips and advice. I'll keep at it. Definitely a bit of a learning curve while developing a feel for hook setting. Not to mention all the rest of it.

It would be more helpful for us beginners if those wily & finicky trout would just hit the fly hard and hook themselves...

redietz wrote:

2) My feeling about playing a fish by stripping or off the reel is that if the fish needs to be put on the reel, it will put itself on it. If it's small fish, heading towards you, you may not really have any choice but to strip the line in with your hand. A big fish headed away from you will be on the reel whether you it to be or not. In between, it's up to you. I prefer to hand strip, unless the fish decides otherwise.

This is an excellent point,

I would also add that managing you line will also aid you in getting fish on the reel if needed, or prevent tangles if you simply hand strip the fish in. Simply put, do not let many coils of line pile up around you. If you are casting 20 feet, you do not also need 20 feet of line hanging off the reel and laying all around you or creating a huge loop hangingg in the current. Take a second and get that line on the reel. This will save you from stepping on it, or tangling it. Fish, particularly small ones, love to jump through loose line laying on the water and create a huge mess.

I put 99% of the trout I catch on the reel. Even little brookies. Maybe its a remnant of my spin fishing days, I dunno. But I hate stripping and having all that line at my feet to tangle on stuff.

At the hookset, I grab the line with my rod hand and reel in any slack till its on the reel. Becomes 2nd nature. I've gotten used to letting line slip through if it pulls hard, a hand drag.

Back