Proper bootie repair?

mute

mute

Seems I'm getting a weird worn area / thinning imprint spot by my big toe on my one Simms g3 bootie. What's the proper / efficient way to pay h this bootie material to prevent the water from absorbing through?

Attachments

• PXL_20221117_182300457.jpg
    PXL_20221117_182300457.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 37
Too late to send them back? Simms are back to the normal 6 week schedule it seems. I had a pair out in the early spring that TCO sent back for me, and I was shocked they returned so quickly.

If past their prime, and not worth sending back, I would hit that hole on both sides with some Flex Seal in the can, Matt. I guess just make sure you're not voiding the warranty if that matters to you. I have a backup pair of G3's that went back to Simms for three trips over the years, so it was time to retire them and buck up for new ones. However, I sprayed the hell out of the crotch and, while you lose breathability, they may never ever leak... I also rescued a pair of neoprene waders for my son by spraying them up. Worth a shot and cheap.

I had an old pair of headwater waders that got the same thing earlier this year - except that they did leak there.
Looked like the neoprene just disintegrated in one little spot - for whatever reason.

After drying them out thoroughly, I aqua sealed them carefully on both sides.
Don't want to have a large lump there that would feel uncomfortable.
Just enough to fill the void to original level.

And it worked - at least so far anyway.
These waders are old and have been patched in many other places. And not worth sending back to Simms
So it was worth a shot IMO

Too late to send them back? Simms are back to the normal 6 week schedule it seems. I had a pair out in the early spring that TCO sent back for me, and I was shocked they returned so quickly.

If past their prime, and not worth sending back, I would hit that hole on both sides with some Flex Seal in the can, Matt. I guess just make sure you're not voiding the warranty if that matters to you. I have a backup pair of G3's that went back to Simms for three trips over the years, so it was time to retire them and buck up for new ones. However, I sprayed the hell out of the crotch and, while you lose breathability, they may never ever leak... I also rescued a pair of neoprene waders for my son by spraying them up. Worth a shot and cheap.
Good points. These are about a year old, maybe 50-60 outings. I probably should just deal with the minor inconvenience of shipping them back and let them repair them however they deem necessary. I guess i was just trying to be lazy and attempt the $5 fix myself. Im just unsure of this material. Ive also used aquaseal on the gortex\breathable part of the waders, but never did anything on the actual booties material. I would feel like aqualseal or any glue or any sort would almost ball up and not allow the stretch that the bootie material features. I think you're right ill just pay the charge($30ish these days?) and let them do it right. I have a backup pair I can use during the winter months.

I had an old pair of headwater waders that got the same thing earlier this year - except that they did leak there.
Looked like the neoprene just disintegrated in one little spot - for whatever reason.

After drying them out thoroughly, I aqua sealed them carefully on both sides.
Don't want to have a large lump there that would feel uncomfortable.
Just enough to fill the void to original level.

And it worked - at least so far anyway.
These waders are old and have been patched in many other places. And not worth sending back to Simms
So it was worth a shot IMO
Thats kind of what I was thinking, a $5 free try, if it didnt work out maybe then send them out, i dont know. Thanks for sharing your experience.

If less than a year get them back asap!!
They can repair them. I had new booties put on a pair of Guides and that kept them wet for another 3 years.
I WOULD NOT USEFLEX SEAL EVER! It does not work past a week. I tried to repair a pool with that stuff this summer.
It is all PR fluff.
*There is a method to repair neoprene and Flex Seal is not one of them.

If less than a year get them back asap!!
They can repair them. I had new booties put on a pair of Guides and that kept them wet for another 3 years.
I WOULD NOT USEFLEX SEAL EVER! It does not work past a week. I tried to repair a pool with that stuff this summer.
It is all PR fluff.
*There is a method to repair neoprene and Flex Seal is not one of them.
Well. tell that to my 10 year old G3s, I guess! It does work. Many thin coats. Even the neoprene will keep absorbing it and eventually form a bond with itself. Not seeing how the pool is an equivalent in any way.

I am with you though with 1 year old waders. It is a nominal fee, like 30 bucks within year two. Send them back if you have back ups. Simms are back on their A game post-covid, at least in my experience earlier this year.

Last edited:
Seems I'm getting a weird worn area / thinning imprint spot by my big toe on my one Simms g3 bootie. What's the proper / efficient way to pay h this bootie material to prevent the water from absorbing through?
Dear mute,

One thing to consider is how they are getting worn? It looks to me that something may be rubbing against the bootie from above. You may have damage in the toe section of your wading boots that is causing the problem. It could something like loose or damaged stitching.

If you don't eliminate the cause of the problem the problem will probably return. Make sure your boot is dry and wad up some sheer material, Charmin will work, and stuff the toe of the boot. If the material snags when you try to pull it out, then the problem is in your wading boot.

Just something to think about.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I’ve had this happen on a pair or two before. Happens more frequently to me on the bottom of the bootie though. Or on the ankle. Yours is early. I let mine get far worse and actually start leaking before I did anything about it.

Get a standard one side sticky wader patch and some Aquaseal. Try to get the bootie to lay on your work surface as flat as possible. Put a dab of Aquaseal on the damaged area. Put the patch on next, leaving a margin around the damaged area that is roughly 2x the diameter of the damed area - You want the extra adhesion. Yes, put the patch right over the wet Aquaseal.

Then, put a bead of Aquaseal over the perimeter edge of the patch. The patch is already waterproof - the Aquaseal keeps the edge of the patch from pulling up and starting to peel off. Let it dry for 48 hours minimum. Ideally a week. The longer the better.

I’ve never had this repair fail. It’ll outlive the waders.

Edit: For anything bigger than a pinhole (just Aquaseal), I use the same approach on the wader material itself too.

Last edited:
Dear mute,

One thing to consider is how they are getting worn? It looks to me that something may be rubbing against the bootie from above. You may have damage in the toe section of your wading boots that is causing the problem. It could something like loose or damaged stitching.

If you don't eliminate the cause of the problem the problem will probably return. Make sure your boot is dry and wad up some sheer material, Charmin will work, and stuff the toe of the boot. If the material snags when you try to pull it out, then the problem is in your wading boot.

Just something to think about.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Oh my god, so I shoved my hand into my korkers this morning on my way out and can feel the slightest top of an object. coming throuigh the sole where my big toe would be. Either a small pebble thats embedded into the sole or something from the boot poking up through.
I actually have had this problem before with my Orvis and Simms boots with studs. I dont know if its because i do alot of jumping around off banks, etc and landing all my 200lb of weight onto the ground\rocks directly with studs. But after my last instance of a stud tip goes right through my waders and socks! Thats when i went the korkers route to totally prevent that with their system. I will need to investigate the object further today but it totally better just be some small *** pebble that somehow embedded itsself like that, grrrrr.... Regardless what a pita of a scenario.

Could the damn rocks of been any pointier wedged inside the holes in the sole? LOL Bah!

One is an aquatic snail. NZMS?

I don’t currently have any examples of this repair on the booties of my waders, but here is a picture of one on the wader material itself. Repair was of a fairly small tear, thorn probably. Maybe 1/4” to 1/2” across or so, but bigger than just a pinhole.

You can see that I cut a larger circular patch down, used about 1/4 of it. Dark areas are Aquaseal, light is the patch itself (this was a clear one). Dark area in center is Aquaseal UNDER the patch.

This is on a beater pair of waders where the seems are starting to go, but the repair itself happened when they were basically brand new. It’s about 18 months old at this point. Like I said, the repair will outlive the waders.

25DB2784 AED3 4314 9105 4CF5EE93754B

Looks like you might have something under the insole causing that wear. The other thing is your booties may be getting bunched up inside of the wading boot and causing the wear spot. I'd contact Simms and see what they have to say. Now would be a good time to send for repair so that you have them back in time for late winter - spring. They might even look at it and tell you that it was substandard material and they're replacing them for free.

I will give you one word of caution if you're looking to repair them yourself. My buddy had a pair of lightweight Dan Bailey waders. The neoprene boot was basically a top shell and a bottom shell that were joined on the sides. He started to have leaking issues so he sealed both of them on the joint with aqua seal and we let them dry overnight. When we went fishing the next day he couldn't have made it 1 hour before we got out of the river, drove to the shop and he purchased a new pair of waders. The water pressure from being in waist deep water pushed that aqua seal seam into the side of his foot making it extremely uncomfortable. He said it was like having a thick beaded keychain running down each side of his foot. Uncomfortable standing and much worse walking. For years, I've worn big wool socks over my booties. Figured it kept more sand / gravel out and reduced wear on the neoprene. Not sure if it actually worked as I planned but I've never had a bootie leak.

Back