Promised land with too many kids

Baron

Baron

I have reservations for six adults and six grandchildren this weekend at Promised land. It is supposed to be very rainy and in the upper 50'sFamily camping may be a challenge this weekend with all the little whippersnappers running around in the rain getting everyone and everything schmooky. Slimeyness and chills are bound to give some kids the HeeBeeGeeBees or the Willies while others may even get the Sputs-and-glups. We're gonna make the best of it anyway.
My question is for neatness and ease of function and with all these kids, would this be a better time to bite the bullet and switch to Live Bait (worms, minnows, mealies) for catching panfish?
I know it is a sacrilege to set down the fly rod. But I suspect that the fish will be holding tight as the water cools and I want to incentivize them to jump onto our hooks.

Use spin gear (heck, use a cane pole!) and bait and have some fun with the kids.

It's just fishin.

For little kids, a long handled, small mesh net can be great fun and allow for the capture of all kinds of little critters.

Dave_W wrote:

It's just fishin.

For little kids, a long handled, small mesh net can be great fun and allow for the capture of all kinds of little critters.

Nets are always there. I may unveil another restored Johnson pushbutton. After all I'll just be fishing close in.

Thanks

I'm with Dave. I don't think fishing with equipment other than a fly rod is sacrilege. Like he said, it's just fishing. Do what you want and have fun.

The only reason I basically only use a fly rod is because it's my favorite way. I hold nothing against any legal means of catching.

Thanks Jifigz. yep, we're all setting up for fishing bait near the bottom as it looks like it will be a washout this weekend.

Bring bobbers. Seeing the bobbers yanked below the surface adds to the kid fun!

STONEMAN wrote:
Bring bobbers. Seeing the bobbers yanked below the surface adds to the kid fun!

I know some older guys who look at a strike indicator the same way.

Back