Project would bring 400,000 tons of drilling waste to Pa.’s ‘Grand Canyon’

Its true that programs are cut and class size goes up, but what's not true is salaries go up. In my district we had a pay freeze for three years.

My wife just got an entry level position at PSU with an associates degree and makes 5K more than me and I have 10 years expieience and two masters degrees.

By the way, to all those that find teaching easy, they still offer certifications. Feel free to get one and teach. Then we can talk.

Side observations:

Out of 41 post in this thread 31 were made during normal business hours. Granted several were mine and I don't work in the summer. But every talks about inefficient teachers as you are at work typing away. I'm sure your bosses are okay with this? Also, post tend to drop off in the evening hours. So my conclusion is that it's okay for most to waste work's time and money, but not on your own time.

I'd bet many of you crap at work to save money on toilet paper too.

Schools around me are all adequately funded. If you feel your district isn't feel free to raise your property taxes. Don't ask me to fund your kids schools as well as mine.

MKern wrote:
Its true that programs are cut and class size goes up, but what's not true is salaries go up. In my district we had a pay freeze for three years.

My wife just got an entry level position at PSU with an associates degree and makes 5K more than me and I have 10 years expieience and two masters degrees.

By the way, to all those that find teaching easy, they still offer certifications. Feel free to get one and teach. Then we can talk.

More proof that colleges costs have gotten far out of control. BTW, yes I try to crap at work to save toilet paper and flushing(septic) at home! :-D

franklin wrote:
MKern wrote:

Maybe the lack of performance from schools has more to do with societal changes and homelike changes than it does with teachers.

So so so true. Let us also add the other end. Children performing well in school has more to do with parenting then teachers. Why do teachers always leave the second part out. Why do we constantly have hear how our children are achieving because of them but failing because of parenting skills.

The constant pointing out of how difficult a teaching job has no credibility at all. There is nothing difficult about working in a classroom, having every weekend, holiday and summer off. This should lead to the "I do a lot of work at home" spiel. The majority of working people also do work at home or they work a 2nd job.

I have great respect for teachers but they need to stop making crazy claims to justify their salaries and benefits. They need to learn that it's better to say nothing then make indefensible argument.

Fracking happens to be safe for the environment.

Not "safe". There are certainly some impacts, as well as dangers of more damaging impacts.

But it looks like it's better than what it's replacing, hence overall a net benefit, environmentally speaking. A lot of people miss that. They want something that's 100% safe and has zero impacts. Such a thing doesn't exist, it's not a valid goal. The real question is whether it's better than the alternative. And so far, fracking is replacing coal. From mining to power generation, yes, it appears like gas and fracking is a considerable improvement.

Monitoring the industry and striving for improvement are still necessary. But the goal shouldn't be to kill fracking, or even delay it.

^ so true. It has far less impact on the environment then traditional well drilling as well as wind turbines and solar panels. Could you imagine the amount of solar panels or wind turbines needed to produce a similar amount of energy as gas. The visual impact alone would be 100 times worse then the current practices associated with fracking.

The extraction industries doing business in PA have a long history of environmental disasters from all types of singing and drilling. I would suggest a better use of the drilling waste after treatment and certification that it's clean would be to use it in road building.
Huge mounds of coal stage have remained in the coals regions of PA for almost 200 years. Let's not start more of this foolishness.

lineman wrote:
If memory serves, the current Democratic presidential front runner as well as the majority of other Democrats were all in on their votes for military action in the middle east. .

Your memory is quite distorted as are most on the right. Your neocon brethren fabricated the information and then dared anyone from disagreeing with their solutions with the threat of being demonized as un-Amaerican a la Joe McCarthy. Many democrats, spineless to a fault, fell in line.

Argue as u will in support of the non-renewable energy industry. These industries have historically shown contempt for renewable energy efforts. They also have horrible records of ruining our environment and paying little for remediation. I say impose fees and tax these industries to the max BEFORE letting them proceed because you'll probably never get enough out of them in the end to cover their misdeeds. Anyone who believes these companies will do the right thing can bid on my "swamp land in Florida".

Back