Problem with Cabela's tippet material

jayL wrote:
Rio powerflex, at the same cost/yard as the cabela's is a no brainer. I never realized that the cabela's stuff shorted you like that. The powerflex, to me, is superior stuff. That may be all in my head.

The way I see it, there are lots of better places to skimp than tippet.

I'll go with Jay, powerflex, got to be some of the best stuff, I've used!

PaulG

I'm weird. Orvis for 5x and 6X, Rio for 3 and 4, maxima ultragreen for 0, 1, and 2. I also carry 30 lb chameleon for leader butts.

Oh, and go to bed Paul! :p

Boyer

I think the cheaper Cabela's stuff may be Climax. I haven't bought any in a long, ling time.

I'm pretty sure, based on packaging and appearance that the Cabela's "Prestige" tippet is re-badged Umpqua, which means its pretty good.

For trout tippet, I use Rio Powerflex. I think it is the best of the co-polymers. Orvis SS isn't far behind, IMO and the spools are bigger for about the same price.

IMO, historically, the best tippet ever was the old Nylorfi from Cortland. The worst was something called Aeon. Simply awful. Neither has been available for over 30 years.

A good reasonably-priced material that I use for smallmouth fishing and for the sections of trout leaders that are 0X to 3X is the White River stuff from Bass Pro. Good reliable stuff.
But steer clear of the White River fly hooks. My experience has been that they have the temper of al dente linguine.

My wallet and I see no reason for flourocarbon, but that's just our opinion..

Precision II was always my favorite now I use Varivas, and that stuff works. Only breaks when I make a bad cast....So never....Yeah right.

Well it works for me and thats what I use.

I started with the Climax. Once I got better I realized it was way too stiff and kinked and twisted terribly. I've gone through phases of Climax, Frog's Hair, Orvis, Dai Riki, etc. as well, but settled on Rio. I did so after having all of them together with the same diameter (mic it, don't trust the spool!) and running a crude test to see which was the most supple. Rio won. I am a Powerflex guy and it is great stuff, never had much of a problem.

You can test the suppleness pretty easy. Just take an even length of the lines to be tested, of even diameter (mic it, don't trust the spool). And play with em, it becomes obvious which are the most supple. You need a tensile machine for strength, and many of the other properties only come through experience.

A few things:

We tend to bunch all mono's together, which is bad. There are 4 main types of line.

1. Single Strand Mono - High strength/diameter, high abrasion resistance. Very stiff. Tend to kink. Have memory. I tend to like them as leader materials, but not tippet. However, if you're after big toothy fish, or pulling streamers or something, they have their uses.

Examples: Maxima chameleon, Orvis SS.
Bait fishing examples: Berkely Trilene, most standard lines.
Winner: Orvis SS, though I like the extreme stiffness of chameleon for butt sections of leaders.

2. Copolymer mono - Most supple of all lines, which is most important for fly fishermen anytime you want a drag free drift, and important for castability among spin fishing lines. So these would be your best dry fly fishing lines almost all of the time, especially with smaller dries. They have very little to no memory. They do stretch, though not as much as straight mono. Stretch helps absorb shocks during the fight like a soft rod would, but makes hook sets on bigger fish less "solid." They also degrade with sunlight and water, though this process is slow and most of us use a spool before this happens. And they do tend to twist, which comes with suppleness.

Examples: Most tippet materials.
Bait fishing examples: Tectan, Silver Thread, most "castability" specialty lines.
Winner: Rio Powerflex

3. Flouro - in suppleness, they roughly bridge the gap between single strand and copolymer mono. Stiffer than a copolymer, but not as much as a single strand mono. They do not stretch, unlike either type of mono. They sink, which can be an advantage or disadvantage. They're slicker, meaning knots pull out easier and split shot slide easier. And theoretically at least, they are less visible UNDER water, though this advantage is lost on the surface or in the film.

4. Braided (and this includes furled leaders) - They actually win in many measurable categories, especially in thicker diameters. The negative is that they are very visible.

PatriotFly26,

Do they make that cortland tippet any longer. I've seen it at Gander Mtn but that's about it. I loved it too.

Just a note for the people who buy a product froma smaller company or larger company that is produced and packaged by a main company......

Sometimes, let's say Cabela's wants to purchase tippet from umpqua and label it as Cabela's brand. They will approach the company and say we want to label is with our brand name, however we want to sell it for 50 cents less. What the mother company will do is sacrifice quality to meet Cabela's demands.

This happens all of the time with other larger companies like Lowes, Supermarkets, and others.

MKern wrote:
Just a note for the people who buy a product froma smaller company or larger company that is produced and packaged by a main company......

Sometimes, let's say Cabela's wants to purchase tippet from umpqua and label it as Cabela's brand. They will approach the company and say we want to label is with our brand name, however we want to sell it for 50 cents less. What the mother company will do is sacrifice quality to meet Cabela's demands.

This happens all of the time with other larger companies like Lowes, Supermarkets, and others.

This is occasionally the case, but I'd consider it the exception, rather than the rule.

Most of the time, the manufacturer is willing to take the hit for the sake of moving *tons* of product through the BB store.

I dont the manufacturer takes the hit I think the BB just sells it a less of a mark up!

Either way If you can find a good product on the cheap take full advantage of it!

The prestige tippet works for me. Its just the other cheaper stuff that sucks(breaks really easily).

Back