Prince Nymph

I think it's a great lookin fly , the only thing i would do different would be to not tie it to a dime.

I agree with all the feedback above, no need to rehash. Try using a red thread and adding a brown partridge collar.

Bob
What size or sizes do you want ?
For a friend they are yours for the asking ,no need for trade !!!!!!!

Mike
I received the flys today Friday 1/25/13
You have nothing to be ashamed of ,they all look great !!!!!!!

Still trying to get a few fine details down. I wrapped the wire slightly different this time, tying it in before the biots, then underneath and around to see how it would look. This is a size 14. Again, any criticism, good or bad, is welcome.

Attachments

• princy.jpg
    princy.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 5
your tail biots are little on the long side yet, the thorax could be slightly thicker, and theres no brown hackle at front ?

Attachments

• DSCF3697.JPG
    DSCF3697.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 6
I've fished them with and without the hackle, and seem to catch more without it. I'll throw some hack in a few and see what happens though. Thanks for the input.

I'd say the last one is better, as to how long the wings should be I'd say to the bend of the hook. The tail about half the length you have it. But like I said it's your choice. Oh and the brown hackle. I weight my nymphs rather then a bead head. But that's me.

That is looking pretty good.
Charlie's tutorials are always worth looking at: Bead Head Prince Nymph
Apparently even Doug Prince tied many different variants of this basic pattern, so there is no right way. And nobody knows what the heck the fish think they are eating when they take this, so details like the hackle may or may not be important. On the other hand, sticking to a "standard" pattern will get you to a fly that has ben evolved to be effective. Personally I do add the hackle and skip the bead. Tie them to make yourself happy.
Mike.

osprey wrote:
I think it's a great lookin fly , the only thing i would do different would be to not tie it to a dime.

too funny,you took me by surprise.

Back