Prince Nymph - Goose Biots

V

Valiantly

Tied up a few Prince nymphs yesterday and had a helluva time with the goose biots....suggestions?

In what way were you having difficulty?

Tie them in upside down pointing forward. Then as you sart the head of the fly fold them back over the body and secure.

This way if you are using a bead head too, you don't have the clipped ends sticking out.

I struggle with them too. Don't tie a lot of prince nymphs but did do a couple over the weekend. I lay both biots down in an "X" and don't make my first wrap too tight. Keep pressure on them with your finger and if you're satisfied with position and length, wrap tighter and make sure you go forward towards the hook eye.

Valiantly wrote:
Tied up a few Prince nymphs yesterday and had a helluva time with the goose biots....suggestions?

Tie a few dozen. It gets easier.
http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/print.cfm?parentID=68

"Tie them in upside down pointing forward. Then as you sart the head of the fly fold them back over the body and secure.

This way if you are using a bead head too, you don't have the clipped ends sticking out."

That is valuable information... I have been tying for a while and cannot believe I didn't think of that.

Ahaha been hearing that lately... my buddy Redsun rippin on me

For the tails use a little bit of ice dubbing (black peacock) or any other similar dubbing of color and make a little dubbing ball at the end of the hook shank right before the curve. Tie in one biot at a time on the side of the shank not the top. Make sure the contour of the biot is facing out. Then simpily tie in the other side to equal length. The dubbing ball will push the tails out as you tie closer to the ball. Hope this helps....practice and repetition is key as noted above.

nice instruction phillyfly.

I have been using hackle pliers to hold the biots as I tie them in. Stubby fingers with short nails, I am a beginning tier but it works for me.

Thanks everyone.....good suggestions.....and it does get easier with repetition!

i always had trouble with goose biot ,till i started tying them in one at a time,doh!

Once you secure them, if you just nick the edge of the butt end with a razor blade and rip, they'll come off in a clean line and you can just cover it with one or two thread wraps. Perfect clean head. Works better than trying to get in there with scissors. Also, I like the folding biots back idea mentioned above, but I feel it would be a bit more difficult to get them to lay perfect on the back when folding them over.

Back