Pretty pretty good (fish)

discomidge

discomidge

Who doens't like a looker. Tonight's winner, a 16" cahill eater:

IMG 8973

I agree that it is a pretty fish. It also shows signs of past fin damage/scarring on almost every fin, including a possible upper caudal fin clip that didn’t fully heal. Additionally, it is a bit thin suggesting past or recent prolonged exposure to less than ideal water temps, past disease, which also might explain the fin wear, or even (at the extreme) a lure or hook in the digestive tract. Such extensive past fin damage may also indicate that it was originally a stocked fish more than a year ago. Great example of a fish that might have a story to tell if it could.

I agree that it is a pretty fish. It also shows signs of past fin damage/scarring on almost every fin, including a possible upper caudal fin clip that didn’t fully heal. Additionally, it is a bit thin suggesting past or recent prolonged exposure to less than ideal water temps, past disease, which also might explain the fin wear, or even (at the extreme) a lure or hook in the digestive tract. Such extensive past fin damage may also indicate that it was originally a stocked fish more than a year ago. Great example of a fish that might have a story to tell if it could.
Wow. Could we get a PAFF webinar where you just walk us through a bunch of such examples? I'd attend for sure.

Great looking fish wild or holdover. A great looker. Congrats. Fall is almost here and those colors will pop even more.

Thanks Mike, that's definitely interesting info. I'd love to be able to look at fish and divine its path to my net rather than just being like "oooh first one with fall colors this year, pretty".

I think that's a freshwater barracuda.

A real beauty.

Well Done!

A fish that size makes the trip

I caught a brownie that is the exact spittin' image of this fish just this past week...... mine ate a Griffiths gnat....

Seeing this photo actually makes me want to fish for trout, it's been a while.

I’ve been curious about the different “looks” of state stocked browns for a while. I agree with Mike 100% on the “features” on this one. I’ve seen holdovers and freshly stocked browns from the state with very defined spots and then the “digi-spot” borderline tiger trout markings. All in the same spot so I assume they’re all coming from the same hatchery. I have a photo of one from a few years ago somewhere that almost looks fake the pattern is so strong.

Are they using different brood stock from different hatcheries and supplying eggs to other hatcheries to raise?

Today, I finally got one I think might be a good candidate for the "@Mike Explains The Lives of Fish" project:

PXL 20240102 204621583

PXL 20240102 204645082

The pictures don't do the size justice, but it was in the area of 12-14" but skinny. A bit of a surprise in a creek (NY) that the DEC has stocked with only browns in recent memory. There is a nature center that could be doing trout in the classroom stuff (haven't been able to verify) and the stream does flow into bigger stocked water. And then, of course, there's the issue that it's seen some battle.

Anything interesting to be gleaned?

Large head and thin body. That fish is probably on its way out.

Today, I finally got one I think might be a good candidate for the "@Mike Explains The Lives of Fish" project:

View attachment 1641233716
View attachment 1641233717

The pictures don't do the size justice, but it was in the area of 12-14" but skinny. A bit of a surprise in a creek (NY) that the DEC has stocked with only browns in recent memory. There is a nature center that could be doing trout in the classroom stuff (haven't been able to verify) and the stream does flow into bigger stocked water. And then, of course, there's the issue that it's seen some battle.

Anything interesting to be gleaned?
Escaped a heron attack, maybe?

Back