Pressure

P

PATroutMan

I have heard often the phrases “high fishing pressure” or “high pressured water,” etc. What exactly does this mean? I was always under the impression it had something to do with barometric pressure.

Hi, I'm pretty sure it means how much fishing pressure a stream see's. How many fisherman fish a stream or body of water. Example, you have a 1.5 mile section of catch and release water, 200 people show up all the time, water has high fishing pressur. Example is an exageration, but you get it. Tight lines.

My experience is that low barometric pressure, leads to lower fishing pressure. Both of which are conditions I like.

Swattie87 wrote:
My experience is that low barometric pressure, leads to lower fishing pressure. Both of which are conditions I like.

Agree. ^

PATroutMan wrote:
I have heard often the phrases “high fishing pressure” or “high pressured water,” etc. What exactly does this mean? I was always under the impression it had something to do with barometric pressure.

As others have pointed out, these are different concepts.

The terms you quoted refer to how many anglers fish, or are currently fishing, a certain stream or lake - not weather conditions.

One advantage I seem to have noticed about "pressured" fish is that you can get closer to them as they are used to people being around them.
I don't fish the Tully as much as I used to but the fish in certain areas there get quite a workout and I remember being able to get pretty close to them, especially when they were on a Trico spinner fall.

Back